• In the Spotlight:

Live Octopus -- would you eat it? adult content

I got the November Rachael Ray magazine in today and they have an article called Wild Edibles. They mentioned a few others like duck tongues (ew!) but that one just floored me. It's served with sea salt and olive oil for dipping. There is a place in Los Angeles that charges $20 for the pleasure of serving you this live critter --legs still wriggling. The oil prevents the octopus legs from sticking to your teeth and gums and crawling out of your mouth. Think I'll pass, thanks. Any takers?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 1:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Little fun fact about Octopie. They regrow their legs, and they don't feel pain when they lose a limb. It's a defense mechanism against predators. And the legs are moving because of the nerves in the leg. A lot of places only serve the legs.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• OMG..no way.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i have ate it..and its very good..i ate it while in japan a few years ago..i liked it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have had it, it's not bad really. Everyone is so squeamish of any kind of meat outside of chicken, fish, beef, and pork. It tasted like seafood, like calamari and crab mixed together. Seafood philosophy is the fresher the better! LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Disgusting. I am a vegetarian--no seafood either--because I can't stand the thought of eating a dead animal. The idea of consuming one that it still alive and fighting for its life makes me feel ill.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• NASTY! I eat seafood but there is no way I am putting am moving tentacle in my mouth!!!!!!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm an adventurous eater...but there is no way I could do that - I like my meat cooked!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• the verve endings are different than ours they regenerate differently, there are no bones, or pain receptors available. Thanks Natonal Geographic show!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• no I would not.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ive had octopus (on pizza in Japan haha) but never alive...i dont eat live animals haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010