My husband & I have been co-sleeping with our 19 mo. old daughter since day 1. But now, baby #2 is on the way, and I'm trying to get her to sleep in her crib. I'm having difficulty bc she stands up & cries like every 3 hrs. I'm very frustrated especially since we only have a one bedroom apartment, and I'm due in the next 5 weeks! Help!!!!!!!!

HRSalaam723

Asked by HRSalaam723 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know what to tell you except let her cry. If that’s what you choose, pick the method that feels right to you... here are the three main ways:

- Tuck her in and kiss her goodnight. Leave the room until morning. This usually works the quickest but can be hardest on Mommy's emotions. This is what I did.
    - Go back and check on her after 5 minutes, then 10, then 15, etc. until she is asleep. This takes more time in the evening, usually takes more days, and is still hard on Mommy's emotions.
    - Let her go to sleep while you sit next to her on the bed. DON'T talk or sing, just sit. After a few nights, you sit next to the bed, then in the middle of the floor, then next to the door. This can take weeks and takes a lot of time in the evening.

Whatever you do, you need to be consistent. If you leave her tonight but get her tomorrow night, you will just confuse her. Also, expect her to revert to the current behavior once the baby comes. Ju
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Bet you won't make that mistake again, lol. Just be consistent and don't give in. She'll be ok in her crib. It takes time for them to adjust to a new routine but she WILL adjust :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Your poor child. After sleeping with you from day one, I am sure she is so scared and confused. My heart breaks for her and for you to try and make this difficult change.. I hope with the next baby you will choose to use the crib...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• your child should have never been in the bed with you in the first place. im not judging you BUT that is unsafe and unhealthy. hope the next one sleeps in their own bed! good luck
    Anonymous

• try laying her down and holding her hand until she gets sleepy. or sing or read to her. she just wants to know you are there. and a blanket with your perfume may help.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I hate to say it but every one else is right. You need to just let her scream. Kids bounce back fast, she will be fine. I had the same problem with my daughter (only I put her in the crib earlier) and she survived with no mental trauma. You don't have a lot of time to coax her into it like it seems some people are suggesting. Good luck :)
    Saria87

Answer by Saria87 at 3:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• tyr putting a chair in the room by her crib and sit with her until she falls asleep each night move the chair closer to the dooor until you can put her in the crib without you being there... i saw that on nanny 911 dont know if it works... but seemed better than letting her scream give it a try
    babybump09

Answer by babybump09 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2008