13 year old rules the house?

My finace's sister is 13 years old. She is the youngest and the only girl. She does pretty much whatever she wants without consequences. They tell her that she is grounded or can't do something but she always talks her way out of any punishment. She is constantly calling people names, and swearing at them (even her parents), i've seen her outside in the middle of the night with friends. I dont know what I should do, I dont want her to end up being stupid and getting into trouble or getting pregnant.. but what can I do without making her parents feel like crap?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 7:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• There really is no way to step in and try to parent her without offending people. You may be able to try the occasional "You shouldn't speak to your parents like that!", but you run the risk of being told to back off. You could try to "befriend" her, acting like a cool older sister or something and giving her advice, letting her know how dangerous her actions are. Or you could rat her out to her parents every chance you get, like when you see her out, and hope they do something about it. Good luck!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• NOTHING.. you can only prepare for your own children when they become teens. It is a up hill battle to co-exist with a teenager these days. If you have not been in this situation with your own it is impossible to relate. I am sure her parents are feeling the sting they do not need or want another to point it out. Love your family but do not come with any observations they already know.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• nothing really... she isnt your child and by your writings i dont think she will listen to you...... i agree with Roseroes just prepare for your own children...
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Talk to her parents and ask them if they want some advice. If they do and feel like they are up in arms and don't have any ideas, tell them to call the police on her. It is illegal for her to be out at night without her parents permission. The police will have a "come to Jesus" talk with her and I would bet she will straighten up. It worked for a friend of mine. Kids have to have some fear of what will happen to them if they do not do what they are told by their parents. Guess what, parents have rights too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2008