My daughter has been taking Augmentin since Thursday, and her diaper rash is AWFUL!! I have tried almost everything-soaking in a tub with baking soda, no diaper at all, homeade diaper creams, etc. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I called the doctors office and they say there is not much else I can do. I am at the end of my rope, and cry every time I have to change her diaper or think about it.

hutch2579

Asked by hutch2579 at 7:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like she might have a yeast infection, not a diaper rash. Try putting some PLAIN yogurt (with live cultures of course) on it. If that doesn't work, call the doc and ask for Nystatin.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• that happens to my little ones too,the doctor gave me a prescription for nystatin. it clears up pretty quickly with that. poor little girl,i hope she feels better soon.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• First of all, if doc says nothing else he can do, get a new doctor. The other answer is right. Yeast infection, probably brought on from the antibiotics. You are going to need the Nystatin. My kids used to get them from their inhalers (asthma) For future reference on a stubborn diaper rash, get a cream called Dyprotex, it's hard to find sometime, only a few pharmacy stores (Walgreens, CVS, etc) have it, but it is great. It's my Emergency stash. GOOD LUCK
    dupreemommy

Answer by dupreemommy at 7:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• There is another script that could be used for yeast infection. I can't remember the damn name but I think it's starts with a v. Had to use this for my daughter. Call your pedi and ask again. I'm really shocked they said there is nothing more they could do for her. Did they even look at her?
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yeah it's a yeast infection. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria that stop yeast from forming and there ya go. I believe you can use an over the counter cream but it sounds really bad so I would get a prescription. Good Luck hope your daughter feels better!
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 8:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• cornstarch
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• try an oatmeal bath and some of the stuff the other women said. if it doesnt clear up take her to another dr. If a baby has a rash thats that bad the dr would give u something so u have a pos dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If it is a really bad diaper rash with broken skin go to a pharmacy and ask for Resinol it is behind the counter but not an Rx. It says use for ages 2 and up, but I had no other choice to use it on my 10 month old when she got a virus and could not stop going. It is like paste, and may be expensive compared to the stuff out on the shelf but it works. Paste it on with every change, yes it will wipe off. Good Luck

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 8:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Also, to avoid wiping her. Wash her down in a sink with warm water and baby soap. It is work, but they do not fight it like they do the wipe. Or just a warm wash cloth is often more soothing than a wipe.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 8:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I know this might sound super crazy cause I thought it did when I heard it too, but put burnt flower in her diaper, my SIL tried it with her daughter and within 2 days it was gone. I hope she gets to feeling better!
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 8:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2008