HELP ME get my kid to sleep without tears, PLEASE!!!

my son is 12 months old. we co-slept until 6 months when we all stopped sleeping, he would play and fidget for hours, he stopped falling asleep while nursing at this age as well, no matter what i do.. rocking, soft music, dark, singing, NOTHING! DH and i would LOVE for him to co-sleep again but he refuses. he started sleeping in the crib and did very well. the last 2 months he cries himself to sleep, not screaming. i am not a CIO fan, i have sat in there with him for hours, rubbing, singing reading...
he will not go to sleep now unless i let him "whine" (it's not a full blown cry) for about 5 minutes. then he is out. if he starts getting loud i will go in and he smiles at me. i think he enjoys yelling.
i HATE this. i feel terrible. i could rock him for hours and he will not sleep. he won't even fall asleep in the car anymore.
please help. we are about to visit family for 2 weeks and i don't want to do this anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stroller ride(go on a walk) my son loves being outside.. maybe a movie? pacifier, maybe he is hungry? let him play... maybe a massage with lotion my son likes that... umm thats about all i can think of
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• oh or a bath
    skin172

• what is your bedtime routine?
    Make one, and do it every night. Rituals like a warm bath, calming story and a kiss good night. Let him know that this is getting ready for bed and do it every night....
    Also watch for too much stimulus before bed. What are you doing between dinner and bedtime? Is dad chasing him around the house getting him all wired?
    Is he eating a sugary dessert before bed?

Good luck, it does sound like he has found a way to fall asleep on his own (whine) and even though you don't like it, it does work. I'm sure that over time, it will be better. Try the bedtime routine and see if it helps to send him the signal it's time for bed.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know it may hurt and sound horrible, but if that what he has to do that is what he has to do. My son often time wants to sleep w me and daddy but i tell him no hes a big boy and needs to sleep in his own bed. He does cry but he eventually fall asleep. I work nights and dont get to see him alot and he says that to me. BUT you need to remeber that he needs his own space and so do you, so him sleep in his crib is not bad at all. It is good. You get better sleep and therefore are a better mom:)
    RileysMom426

Answer by RileysMom426 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010