Why does my 15 month old daughter wake up a few times throughout the night? Shouldn't she be sleeping throught the night by now?

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 8:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all babies r different. my 14 month old still wakes up at night too. but when they r ready they will sleep through the night
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Ture, all babies are different and some sleep through the night later than others. It is also true that the wake up at night due to habit at this age. Her brain is mature enough to keep her asleep for 12 to 14 hours. If she has no medical problems then she has no need of food during that time. She wakes up because she has always done so.
    Keep in mind that at this age, the broken sleep is starting to harm her. If she's like mine, she probably is developing multiple folds in her lower lids and dark circles under her eyes. Her behavior is probably getting worse too - a large part of the "terrible twos" is actually do to tired kids, not naughty kids. Tired kids don't learn as much during the day, they don't process what they learned while they are asleep, and they don't grow as well since growth hormones are released during sleep too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• What you do about this is up to you. Some will tell you to keep comforting your baby until she decides to sleep all night on her own. Some willl tell you to let her cry and break the habit. Every book has a different method but not every method will work for every baby. In the end, I had to let my daughter cry. She was about 14 months and I was desperate for sleep. It worked for us. The dark circles and bags under her eyes went away and she went from being a horrible, fussy baby to being a happy, curious toddler almost overnight. You have to decide what is best for your family - and thumb your nose at any one who disagrees with your choices, including me.
    kaycee14