Peely diaper rash :[

My son has an area in between the size of a quarter and nickel that's red, and almost bleeding. It seems to FINALLY be getting better. We haven't used wipes in a few days, only water or baths to clean him off, we're changing him every couple of hours and also letting him have some naked time. We've started putting only zinc oxide on it instead of butt paste and baby powder. It seems like it's getting better and less irritated but it's hard when he's been having weird poopy diapers. The one today was actually the most normal one in a few days. Should I take him to the doctor? He hardly ever get rashes and when he does, they're gone in a few hours to a day later.

ours

Asked by ours at 2:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yea maybe u should ask the doctor and use unscented thick soft wipes
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That IS NOT a diaper rash. It's a yeast infection. If it was bleeding and peeling, mos def a fungal infection. MY oldest had them enough to know! :) Save yourself the Dr. Appointment. Go to Wal Mart pharmacy and buy Tolifolinate antifungal cream for about $3.50! It will go away completely in about 2 days. It's totally safe. I had a big thing of it because my oldest had issues with diarrhea, which can cause fungal infections.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• OP here: Also, he's been on the BRAT diet since yesterday afternoon. I think this is partly why things are getting better for him.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks musicmom80. I'm going to look that up and see if it looks like his. I feel so bad for him! I wonder if he got a little bug and that's why he's having so many poopy diapers.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah, frequent poopy dipes will cause the fungal infection for sure! But treat it anyway. Just because it calms down doesn't mean the fungus is dead. My daughter had it for 6 mos because the doctor would just say it was a diaper rash visit after visit. Until I finally took her to the ER because she was bleeding from it. And he simply gave me the walmart cream and it went away.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Is it splotchy looking at times? Red, peeling and sometimes bleeding?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In case zinc oxide doesn't seem to work for you afterall it might be that your son is hypersensitive to it. One of mine was. Only when we switched to a zinc free cream did his rashes stop reappearing. It was tough going for us all for a while. It can be so distressing and tiring caring for bad nappy rashes like this. Thinking of you.
    PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 2:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• how about no diaper too?
    and some Lansinoh cream.

Good Luck,
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• About a month ago, my little guy got sick. Long story short, I ended up taking him to the doctors because he was having some much diarrieha his bottom was broken out so bad and it began to look kind of like an open blister. The doctor said he most likely had rotovirus (which is pretty much a bad stomache bug) and ended up giving me an RX for a diaper rash cream. Within the first day it looked a lot better and within a few days it was almost back to normal. I would suggest calling the doctor and see what they say.

Good luck and I hope your little one feels better soon!
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 3:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It sounds like a yeast infection to me too, but it could be something else. I generally like to take my son to the doctor for anything new, just to be sure I don't misdiagnose it at home. Once I know what it is, then I can treat it at home if it looks like the same thing again. My son had a yeast diaper rash once and has had a few diaper rashes that cleared within 24 hr with Desitin. He also got eczema (which is rare in the diaper area, but happens occasionally) in the diaper area. At first I treated it as a regular diaper rash then as a yeast diaper rash, and nothing made it better for a couple weeks. An eczema cream prescribed by the doctor cleared it up in less than a week.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010