Ridiculous Liquor Laws

In the great state of Michigan you can't buy alcohol on Sundays before noon.

Anyone else think that is ridiculous? Do other states have similar laws?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they are STUPID as well. There is no logical reason for the law

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• O and yes, other states do ..!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Blue laws can be viewed as states historically incorporating religion into laws. But then states adopted the term, "secular day of rest".. Many state laws even state they are used to encourage healthy lifestyles.... I bet Michelle Obama thinks this is a great idea... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think that is the same law Washington state has. Down in Killeen Texas they do not have liquor stores at all ,do not sell it in the county . It is called a dry county 

Answer by louise2 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• New Mexico has the same before noon law, but many counties here are dry counties and have to drive an hour to find liquor at all lol
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Every state has their own laws regarding liquor sales--the laws will even vary within counties in the states. In Kansas, there were no liquor sales on Sundays at all--at least in the county where I lived. Beer was sold in grocery stores, but only 3.2 percent alcohol. Higher alcohol-content beer was sold in liquor stores.  There are dry counties in Kansas, as well, where no liquor of any sort is sold.

cont.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In Tennessee, there is a distillery (Jack Daniels) in a dry county. Ironic, isn't it? In my area, beer and wine coolers are sold in grocery stores, but not in liquor stores. Liquor stores can sell wine and hard liquor only--no other items (I looked for mulling spices one winter, and was told that they could only sell liquor). I believe you can buy beer in grocery stores on Sundays, but liquor stores are closed. In some surrounding areas, there have been meetings to decide whether to allow restaurants to sell liquor by the drink.

Laws differ everywhere, and I'd be willing to be that if you checked into it, even within Michigan, there will be a variety of laws, depending on the county.

jsbenkert

• We used to live near Lynchburg, TN(Moore County). This is where Jack Daniels is made. This is also a dry county... Kinda funny... Some of the best Whisky in the world... mmmmm Made in a dry county... ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• lol jsben, we were thinking the same thing!!! lol
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In SC there are no alcohol sales on Sunday except in the high tourist areas (Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach) and some other random areas. I personally think they're unconstitutional. Why Sunday? If it's legal to do every other day why can't it be done Sunday. Sunday is the sabboth. For the record, I don't even drink. A person who is of legal drinking age should be able to do when they want to.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010