Do all students go to graduate school after finishing undergrad? Have you met anyone who didn't go?

rachelcat

Asked by rachelcat at 2:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, not everyone goes! Sure, I've known a lot of people who finished undergrad but never went to grad school. Just depends on the person and their situation.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• A lot of people do not get their Master's, depends on the field they are in. Some fields, such as teaching, almost always require a Master's degree.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Many people do not go to grad school. I started grad school over 12 years after I finished my undergrad; I worked first.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think most people don't go onto graduate school. Or were you asking if the people in grad school had finished undergrad? If the second question is the case, I don't know of any univeristies that would accept a graduate student that didn't have an undergraduate degree.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Most of the people I know personally who DID go to graduate school went after finding a good job that would pay for it. In other words they finished their undergrad degree, got a job, and then a few years later their employer sent them to grad school. So they didn't go immediately after finishing their BS.

However one of my best friends started working on her MS during her last semster of her Senior year on her BS. In other words, she wasn't actually finished, but she was on track to graduate at the end of the semester with only a part time load of classes. In that case it is perfectly fine to sign up for graduate level classes without having a BS in hand.

BTW I didn't go on the grad school. Got my BS and was done. I don't think MOST people even get their Bachelors. I'm sure you can google some census numbers to fnd out how many people never finish high school, finish high school but have no college, etc.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah, me! I finished school with my BA 10 years ago, and never did Masters and I make more money now FROM HOME than my hubby who went to the same school got his BA and works as a Private Banker for the Nations Largest Bank...

If you can find an employer who wants you to have it, do it, otherwise...we are stuck in this economy for another 4 years...degrees or not..
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've met plenty who didn't go. I have not yet gone back to school yet, but I'm probably going to call it "finished" once I have my Associate's as well.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• NOPE. I got my BA in 2004. I won't pursue my MA until I can afford to.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010