Have you lived with chronic migranes?

I have since I was 12 years old. The migranes get to the point that I cannot have light on, no noise, my head I really trully believe is going to explode. I was tested when I was a teenager but they found nothing. They have started back even worse the last 3-4 years.
What have you found works to relieve them? Is there a medication that you take or a remedy that you have come up with.

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 9:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Health

• I used to take zomig for mine, it didn't completley take it away but it made them livable. I had them from the time I was 12 to 19. You can ask your Dr about zomig they had one that you spray up your nose and one that melts on your tongue. The one that sprays up your nose is kind of nasty but the melt one doesn't taste to bad.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 9:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• This is way long sorry:
    My best migraine treatment is preventing them. I have hemi-plegic migraines. Basically I have the right side of my body go numb for a few hours to a few days. The worst one ever lasted 16 days. I spent a lot of time in physical therapy after that.
    You have to become hyper aware of your triggers. Also if you have any auras that happen just before. I'm prettty lucky because I do. I get these bright swimming lights, or sometimes I see 'halos' around objects. They are different for everyone. A big trigger for me is holding my breath.
    cont's
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have been on Midrin, Fiornal, Immitrex..you name it I've tried it. The problem is they only treat after you have one started. After the worst one ever my neurologist wanted to try something he'd read about.. He put me on a Blood Pressure medication called Tenormin ( I do not have hypertension). The idea is it regulates have much your vessels can expand and contract..thats how it manages your blood pressure. The cool thing for me is as long as I take one Tenormin every night at the same time my migraines are managed very well. I rarely have pone unless I don't take my meds. Several Drs since then have tried to take me off the med. Every time they do the migraines return with a vengence.
    Cont
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• This really works for me. Now..when I do get a migriane occaisionally..oddly what seems to work as good as any perscription I've tried is the Excedrin Migraine formula. The only difference in the migraine formula and the regular Extra Strength Excedrin is the one for migraineds has a coating to prevent further stomach upset.
    Hope this helps.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Hi my friend..I feel your pain believe me! I have had some doozys (Migraines). My Dr, Put me on Fieracet for my migraines and it works.. I feel my symptoms comeing on and I take my medicine and lie down...It works for me but everyone is different...I hope this helps...Your friend Linda
    PS there are a lot of new meds out for migraines..You may need to get another scan done first and discuss it with your Dr...Help is out there...Good Luck my friend...Linda
    Momof31960

Answer by Momof31960 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Fiornal and a dark bedroom are the only things that work for me. I've been having migraines since my mid-teens and have tried a lot of different meds, including an anti-depressent as a preventative (didn't work, made me gain 20 lbs...Thanks Doc!).
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I take Imitrex when I get a migraine and it gets rid of it within 15 minutes. Problem is, lately I've been having them 2-3 times a week, for the past 2 months. In the past, I've tried Inderal, Depakote, Periactin, Magnesium, Baby Aspirin and Topamax for prevention and some of them worked for a while but then my body got adjusted to them and they quit working. I'm looking now for some herbal supplements for prevention. I've heard Butterbur and Feverfew are good, but I have to wait until my husband gets paid this Thursday before I can get any.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i feel ya they are terrible. I have had them since I was ten years old. I used to get them almost everyday I would lay on the floor in my class room. I went to the doctor because my mom had had enough they found that at first it was my sinus's that where not getting enough air, and they where trigering migranes along with sinus headaches it was horrible I had sinus's surgery at 11 which helped my migranes I vary rarely get them anymore (probably one a month now) but they knock me on my but. I get tunnel vision and throw up sometimes the entire side of my body will go numb and i am unable to talk its horrible. But what i do is go in cool dark room put cold cloths on my head it seems to help the pain, and i try to sleep them off.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have gotten headache since I was 4 that progressivly got worse I get migraines all the time and really nothing the dr has given me works. The only thing that takes them away for any extended period of time is being pregnant but a few months after baby they are back
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't get them often but when I do they are bad. I end up vomiting a few times before it will finally go away. They are so bad that I have to call someone if my hubby's not here to care for my kids. I've tried diff kinds of over the counter medication & a few that have helped are Advil Migraine & Excedrine Migraine. Another thing that helps is having a few wet wash rags in the freezer at all times, darkness & being comfortable. I have never been to the doctor for my them b/c I do not have heath insurance. When I have a headache I immediately take rapid release Tylenol gels so that I can nip it in the bud & try to lay down/relax, then if that doesn't help I go straight for the Advil Migr. or Excedrine Migr. in hopes that it will keep me from getting a migraine, normally it does. Also never go to bed w/ a headache unless you've taken something for it, when I do,I almost ALWAYS wake up with a migraine.
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008