Taking depression meds or other Rx while pregnant?

Alright, so I know I may get some backlash for asking this question, but I am genuinely curious.
I know for a fact that most depression Rx's and other Rx's (for pretty much any ailment) warn against taking them while pregnant or nursing...
So why is it that if something happens to your unborn child (which generally isn't discovered until after birth, I know) are people surprised and ready to sue the drug companies?
I'm just saying, doesn't this fall under the "duh" category?
And please, I'm not bashing those children who were hurt or had some sort of problem from these drugs, I truly want to know what makes parents take certain drugs while pregnant when you know the warnings and every day there's a new commercial announcing a new lawsuit against some drug company because children were born with certain problems.
I have depression & OCD, I took natural mood enhancers when pregnant. DD is fine & I still take them.

MayMommaToBe

Asked by MayMommaToBe at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• And before you answer, I'm not criticizing, I just truly feel this is one of those things that we are warned about every day in a lot of different ways. Did you consider taking natural rememdies while pregnant? Almost everything that there's a prescription for, you can find a natural remedy for. Why not try that first?
    MayMommaToBe

Comment by MayMommaToBe (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Because women go int the Dr to see what they can do. The Dr says take this and they do. They trust there Dr. If there Dr would bring up the natural way first more would. Dr are scientist and rely on study's of meds and what has work. I use to be one that trusted my Dr for all my needs. Till I started to learn about natural remedies. This is how we educate one another. Is to bring things up that we have learned.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I did my own research about taking antidepressants while pregnant, and I weighed the pros and cons. If I went off all meds while pregnant, it was very likely that I would suffer a severe depressive episode and would wind up in a psych ward for the remainder of my pregnancy. My family doctor warned against taking Effexor, while my perinatologist said it was ok. In the end I chose to follow my perinatologist's advice. He is the best in the state and he knows what he is talking about. I took Effexor while pregnant, and my daughter was born COMPLETELY healthy.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010