Transistioning and a 3 year old.

I had my first parent teacher conference yesterday at my Head Start school. The biggest problem that he is having is understanding transistioning and having meltdowns. He goes into hysterics when he doesn't get his way. During planned activities he doesn't do what he's told and typically gets up to do his own thing which distracts the other kids. I was asked to start getting him an hour earlier each day (which means they won't be feeding him lunch), right when they would be taking the kids outside, because that's when he throws the biggest fit (when he has to come inside) and work on him at home for about 2 weeks until he can come inside without throwing a fit when told to do so.

I've tried explaining this to DH and what he needs to do (he's the one staying home with him) for us to accomplish getting him back on track, but I don't think he quite gets the seriousness of it and I'm getting frustrated (more).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• He does not follow any sort of routine at home when he's with DH. With me, we have our normal nighttime routine and I rarely get any fussiness from him about it because he's used to it. Another thing is that (we DH and I and the school) feel that he has a very hard time dealing with a large amount of people. He does ok when it's a small group, like 1-3 other kids, but he tends to freak out a little bit when there's several (his class has 14 other kids, plus 2 teachers and sometimes an assistant).

The school said they would make a picture chart for him (I need to provide the pictures) so he can help understand the routine better. I'm just afraid of DH not doing his part.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this before? How did it go?
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Anyone? I'd hate to close the question out, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010