How old were you when you found your birth parent(s)?

I'm 36. I was adopted at 4 - 6 months. I'd love to find my birth mom but have not really had the resources to do so. Montana is a close record state and I would need to petition the courts to get them to open my records.

ANyway, how old were you when you found your birth parent?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 2:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• 27 when I found my birth mother. I was going to go to the adoption agency to pay to find them. A year before a friend mentioned something like reuinion.com. I put in info and if the parent was looking could put in info and names would come up of info the same. I got an email and I called her and the we shared pictures and knew when we say pictures and all info the same. That we found each other. I am know 36 and we talk to each other a lot.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I found mine at 22. When I was looking Reunion.com was barely up and running. I looked in the phone book for adoption agencies and picked one to call and ask what a good way to find my birthparents would be. Irony would have it I randommly called the agency I was adopted through and my father was looking for me!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I was in my late 20s-forget the exact age. You can find out a lot of information without having to go to court. There are a lot of resources online and I did my search before there was an internet. Most states have closed records but people do manage to find each other. You need to start searching with whatever information you have. Also there are search angels that will help but be careful who you pick and don't give anyone any money-other than to cover the cost of making copies of certain documents, and this would be a very small amount-and only on delivery of said documents.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I first learned it was even possible to reunite when Phil Donahue show had a segment on ISRR in the mid-80's. I sent away for the forms and registered when I was about 24.
    And then in 1996 when we got our first computer, the first thing I searched for on the internet was 'how to' do an adoption search. I was 41 when I first saw my mother and got a hug from her
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 7:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• my birthmom and sibs found me when i was 36 after a yr. and a half search. My sis was searching for me and giving a ton of wrong information. Thank goodness she did not give up. Been in reunion for almost 4 yrs.
    Gracie06

Answer by Gracie06 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010