To adoptees.... How did your adoptive family feel about you wanting to find out more about your birth parents?

Did they support you?
And if they did not, did you look anyway?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 2:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• My parents supported me. My Mom was actually the one that brought it up to me before I even talked to her about wanting to find my birth parents.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Growing up my parents ALWAYS supported that if I wished to find them she would support and help. Well, I finally found them and they were definately a little jealous for awhile but they got over it.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I never told them
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• As an adoptive family I just wanted to let you know that we left it up to each of our daughters. Same mom who died but different dads. I actually was able to locate the dad for our youngest because she wanted to find him. Our middle daughter found her fathers family on her own. He's dead also. Our oldest has no desire what ever. I have fully supported all of them with their choices. It's natural to want to know about your birth family but it is also natural to want nothing to do with them as is the case with our oldest. She's the one that remembers all the abuse the most.

Adoptive family's should always support their children and love them no matter what they decide about finding their birth families.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Make that 2. I never told them either.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i know my son's adoptive family were fully supportive of him reuniting with me, and his adoptive sister reuniting with her birth family.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My adoptive family was Very supportive and still is.They have always supported me and for that i have always been very grateful. Support and understanding is important and this means they are confident in our relationship and love.
    Gracie06

Answer by Gracie06 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That whole subject was taboo for both my brother and I. When we did the searching, it was when we were adults. It was secretive at the time. My adoptive mother had died when I was 16. I guess I told my adoptive father when I was in my early 30's. He was ok with it and gave me some of the information that he knew.
    I had been abandoned on a doorstep in Philadelphia and did have a judge open my records. That's how I found out I was abandoned. My parents knew but I lived with a made up story of my life until I met the judge! Never found my birth parents though.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010