Any suggestions for decorating my unusual fireplace mantle?

In the house we just started renting, there is an unusual fireplace. About 5 feet above the fireplace is a wall-to-wall dark wooden shelf, and its about 10 inches wide. Because of its length, I'm having a hard time deciding how to decorate it. We have a casual/contemporary style...and I'm very anti knick-knack.

Any suggestions?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 2:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Pictures! Put pictures in different frames and sizes of the kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Candles, pics,
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would put 1 of each of my kids in a contempory style frame and maybe something from each of them from when they were babes.
    I took my shelves down and put up a large mirror with a gold leaf frame from my gma...that looks great too
    JoanColi

Answer by JoanColi at 2:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i would get diffrent sizes of strange lookin, same color family bottles, or i would find an old piece of wood from the beach, hang from the cieling, with thin chains on each side, and use it to add a row of tea lights(ive done that , n it looks great).pardon my spelling please! been living overseas for too long:)
    thaena

Answer by thaena at 3:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'd do pictures, books or both
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We put a mirror on ours and then on one end bunch of dried grasses in a green round glass vase. On the other end we put 3 candles in chunky pewter candle sticks.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010