I need tips on how to deal with quiet time when toddler won't nap.

My 2 year recently stopped napping (has only taken a couple naps over the last month), but he throws tantrums if I try to enforce an hour of quiet time and he won't stay in bed. I usually end up sitting in there with him after a while, and he still doesn't sleep. He usually yawns by lunchtime and gets really cranky by dinner, so I'm pretty sure he still needs the sleep but fights sleep. I've tried really hard to stick to our old routines most days. Any tips on how to either get him to sleep again or at least do quiet time in his room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might try making his nap a little later and a little shorter than your old schedule. He's probably not quite ready to nap as soon as he used to be, and he also probably doesn't need to nap quite as long. I think if you bump it back an hour and cut it down by at least 30 minutes you'll have better luck getting him to sleep and it shouldn't mess up bedtime. If his room is too light or too warm that might also be a problem. At my twins daycare they make the room really cool at naptime so the kids will snuggle up with their blankets, and we recently tried that at home and had better luck getting them to fall asleep for naps on the weekend. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My 3 were like that, they did not want to nap, and resisted all attempts at resting in their room. What I did is this: I closed the livingroom drapes, I put one of their favorite tv shows or dvds on (volume on low) and had them either toss a sleeping bag on the floor or snuggle up on the futon with their favorite blanket. Once they were actually quiet and settled in they would fall alseep.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• sorry, i'm of no help..my daughter never took naps, she does now that she's in preschool, but rarely ever does on her days home.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• try shorten the nap or try making sleepy
    teenmommy4ever

Answer by teenmommy4ever at 2:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• well my 3 and 4 year old do not HAVE to nap, but they must watch a movie and relax in their rooms for 1 hour, and that allows me time to get things done@! Once they are used to it. it becomes a normal thing!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010