WHY DO PEOPLE THINK IT'S OK?

i have a child with Autsim. his about in the middle of the sectrum. we try very hard to include him in things. Yes he acts different and when he does talk in puplic you can tell it's not normal. what i don't understand is how people can come up to me right front of him, and ask is he retarded or something? or when he does something with is hand like rubbing them infront of his face. i get people talking LOUD about how weried he is. just because he doesn't talk all that well doesn't mean he doesn't understand every word people say. what make people think it's ok to basically dog a child they don't even know. it's not like he's screaming at the top of his lungs, or running around like a monkey. it pisses me off. they wouldn't go around talking about a child in a wheel chair. just because he's different doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings!!

RaeTy

Asked by RaeTy at 2:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think most people are just curious but don't have the social skills to inquire in an appropriate way.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• People really do not have common consideration, respect, or manners anymore. I would not do that to your child.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Because people are rude and are unaware of how disrespectful they are. I would call them out on it next time. Tell them how rude and inappropriate they are being, especially in front of your child and tell them you don't appreciate it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Some people are inconsiderate assholes.. Ignore em. They are worth getting pissed over!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Its not okay!! It truly shows peoples ignorance!!
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 2:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• People are jerks. No one has any business questioning you about your child.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That's ridiculous, and the fact that people act like that makes me sick. Feel free to tell them off for being insensitive and repulsive!!

We were at McDonald's recently and there was a boy who was very clearly autistic. He was mostly hanging off in the corner while his parents kept encouraging him to eat, but on occasion he would walk by someone's table and get interested in their toys or food. People were SO RUDE about it! The parents were mortified whenever he touched someone else's stuff, and would quickly usher him away, but I heard people actually saying "control your child". I mean, REALLY, people?! Gosh, people are so awful.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would soooo call them out on it!! WTF!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, I know what you mean. My son is on the spectrum and it is amazing how many people are rude, obnoxious jerks who make rude comments, stare, or give 'advice' on how you should parent your child because obviously they (who have no clue about Autism) can clearly 'know it all' and can do it better (said with heavy sarcasm). They don't seem to realize the the child is not an object but a child who can hear, think, and has feelings-- just like anyone else.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think that common sense is definately not common anymore and people are very ignorant. Extremely uneducated individuals who could care less about what they are missing in the world and are raising their own children to be the same.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 3:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010