i think my 7 year old son hates me.

he only wants to be with his dad,he never talks to me n is always moody around me.i show him un conditional love and respect, but sometimes when he talks back especially to his elders i do get a little strict.i just dont want him to turn out spoiled.my husband n i work long hours everyday(we live in greece,thats normal).and im thinkin maybe its my boys way of telling us he misses us as a family.he says really hurtfull things to me n am so sad.what can i do to bond with him? i feel like such a bad mom:(

thaena

Asked by thaena at 3:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think all 7 year olds are like that. He will grow out of it. Mine does the same thing and then his dad will make him mad and he is on my side again lol. That only happens every once in awhile.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am sure your son doesn't hate you, those have been words spoken by boys of all ages to the parent with the strict hand, you don't need to be friends right now, that comes later, so keep on being the disciplinary one and in the end it will pay off.

Answer by older at 3:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Let it pass. Leave him be. It may just be a phase. I know it's hard when our little men don't want us, and they relate to daddy more, but it's bound to happen. He still loves you, there's nothing you could reasonably do to change that! Don't worry they come back around. They know when you are pushing it, that's why I say back off for a little while. He'll come around.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I really doubt your son would actually 'hate' you. He's probably frustrated over a situation or circumstances he has no control over. I know my brother and I went through phases where we had preference to one parent over the other.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• dont worry i dont think your son hates you. He probally doesnt even really uinderstand the true meaning of hate. I have an eight year old son and we have been through some pretty rough times too. hang in there. it will all be fine.
    supermommy1983

Answer by supermommy1983 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• thank you ladies for your quick replys/i sent him to bed early today(its 10.30p.m here now), n he was in bed by 8.
    tommorow is a new day.im really happy i rejoined for good now.καληνυχτα!!
    thaena

Comment by thaena (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Try to spend as much one on one time with him as possible. And he needs praise when he does things right and tons of affection. You might be right that he is feeling the effects of all the hours you and DH work.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010