Pin worms???

My male housetrained bunny rabbit came to live with us in july we got him at a street fair her was in a cage with new born kittens(cats) and about 4 weeks later it looked like pin worm 1 or 2 in his poop so I took him to the vet and gave him the meds well yesterday he had some more and I called the vet and she said to send them away to see what they are----- What the hell are they??
He eats rabbit food pellets, and a special mix with little corn and seeds and stuff in it, i mix the two in his dish. He also eats 1 carrot a day, as well as assorted farmers market treats like carrot tops and celery leaves and radish greens. and he likes apples. He also goes outside to play and he chews sticks and grass. ALSO should I been washing his toys one a week, and with what is bleach too strong? His toys are the hard plastic baby toys like keys and rattles. Me and the kids have been kissing him on the lips are we going to get sick??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pets

• small flat worms that look like rice? How often is the cage cleaned. Is it inside or out?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We clean the litter box daily and wipe any visable stuff off daily unless he goes potty---PEE alot in the morning after we clean it the first time and then we clean it again! And no we do not have any flies in the house
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It was actually two separate ideas but yes maggots was one. I had that problem when I had ferrets that cage was huge and hard to get all of the poop out of the cracks. WE ended up having to get a cage that was made better for cleaning. The first thought was tape worms. They come from eating fleas. It only takes one so she doesn't have to be covered to get tape worms. Other than that I'mnot sure. I mostly work with dogs and cats. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No I could not find a big rabbit cage so I got him an ASPCA black wire dog cage with a plastic tray bottom that is removeable has worked really well it fits his log and toys and litter box and still he has room to streach out and relax!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• First off, I would not kiss the bunny on the lips until you know what it is. Normally though, you can only get worms if the animal has licked it's butt before you kiss it - not sure if a bunny does that or not !! I don't think you can see pin worms, but they are very contagious between animals and humans and from humans to humans - they can be caught by simply sitting on the floor where an animal has been. The white rice looking worms are usually tape worms, from fleas, as the other person said. A vet would have to give you meds to get rid of those in a bunny, not sure what the dose would be or if you could use cat or dog meds on a bunny. I'm sure a bunny probably also can get worms that dogs and cats don't get. The vet is your best resource at this point I think. Good luck !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2010