how do i get my son off the bottle?

he turned a year on the 2nd of october. He loves his bottle i have tried 5 different cups and he doesnt like none of them. Any adive? I give him nothing but a cup when he eats but he yells for the bottle.

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Might just have to deal with the yelling for a while. Maybe add soemthing to make the bottle yucky like vinegar on the nipple or something. Or just give water in the bottle. Eventually he'll get used to cups. Do you use regular cups? Might be able to start using those and make him feel more like a big boy and just skip the sippy cups. THat way you can tell him he's a big boy and that bottles are for babies. Maybe he'll be willing to give them up so he can be big.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I love the yuck idea for the bottle. Something like a bitter ice tea (most kids won't like), and then compare it to a really good juice in the sippy cup. Also... These sippy cups where awesome in the transition for my son. They feel a lot like a bottle to them.

http://www.target.com/AVENT-Magic-9-oz-Twin-Pack/dp/B000058DN9/sr=1-7/qid=1225128288/ref=sr_1_7/177-2922975-3387431?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Asippy%5Fcup%5Fbrands&page=1
    ProudYoungMom22

Answer by ProudYoungMom22 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Throw the bottles away. Seriously. Just take them all and put them in the garbage. Then he can't have one because there aren't any. Offer him sippy cups and put in your ear plugs. When he gets thirsty enough, he'll drink.
    BabyCatchinMama

Answer by BabyCatchinMama at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Wow, my kids are grown now but I did the same thing for all three.
    I cut the top of the nipple on the bottle and when the milk went all over I said, "Oh No, it is broke! We better throw it away, No more Bottle"
    It worked for all three of my boys.
    Good luck!
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 7:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Skip a feeding and when he's good and hungry give him the cup. He will be a lil fussy but will take to the cup cuz well.. he's hungry had my DD off at 9months
    Anonymous