Do you consider terms like "white trash" "ghetto" to be racist or belittling?

Putting down people who live differently than you because they have less, or may not have as much education as you by giving them a name? Is that OK?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• White Trash is pretty mean....I mean TRASH is the main word in it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• There could be two people standing next to each other both with the same income (on the very low end) both living in VERY similar homes and the term "white trash" or "ghetto" could apply to one and not the other.

It isnt a term to cover ALL people of a particular income level... it is a term to describe a type of person.

AND you could be "white trash" or "ghetto" and make a GREAT income... but based on how you behaive you would be described that way.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• They usually aren't called that ONLY because they have less than others or live differently. Those are usually bestowed on people that act that way on purpose.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't agree with the terms. They are stereotypical. And somewhat racist seeing as you are using the term white in it. If you called someone black trash you'd have the millionman march up your ass in a hot second! I have a few black friends that do not like the term ghetto at all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• But how can you truly say that they decide to live the way they did? That's judgemental. I have seen plenty of people called white trash because all they could afford was a trailor to live in, or they enjoyed the country life and simple things. Yes, it's because they live differently. It's easy for people who don't come from that background to make that judgement about others.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes I agree that the terms apply to those who choose to carry themselves in a way that is deserving of such titles. I am not offended by the terms myself but i have thick skin so not much gets to me
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I live in a trailer that cost $8000.00. I am single and barely make it and I get food stamps and my son is on Medicaid. So...based on your criteria alone, I am White trash. HOWEVER....I know some rich folks that live in an expensive home and I can safely call them White trash or Ghetto and most folks would agree.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If it's not racist then why use the term white? Why isn't it just trash?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't, you did. I just call someone trashy. I don't really use ghetto either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Whether they use the term white trash or not, most Americans are unaware of its long and ugly history. If you had to guess, you'd probably say that the term arose in the Deep South, sometime in the middle of last century, as a term that whites coined to demean other whites less fortunate than themselves. Yet most of what we presuppose about the term is wrong.

The term white trash dates back not to the 1950s but to the 1820s. It arises not in Mississippi or Alabama, but in and around Baltimore, Maryland. And best guess is that it was invented not by whites, but by African Americans. As a term of abuse, white trash was used by blacks--both free and enslaved--to disparage local poor whites. Some of these poor whites would have been newly arrived Irish immigrants, others semiskilled workers drawn to Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010