How can my 10mo succeed at day care?

Logan has been at home with me since he was born. My husband did not want him in daycare. However, my husband passed away last month and I must return to work. I placed Logan in a small home day care. The first week she told me he was doing pretty well, but the second week (this week) she said that he's "got her beat." That she has to hold him all the time or he cries and that he will only nap if she is holding him. I expected her to help him become more independent and already KNOW not hold him all the time and make him MORE spoiled. I am afraid she will not want to watch him anymore. She just seems less than thrilled to see him every morning. I just apologize and jet off to work. I wonder if he is just bored there, because it is just one room with baby toys and stuff. At home he is happy to be exploring. I don't understand why he is being such a rotten boy for the Day Care?

Racemeimagirl

Asked by Racemeimagirl at 10:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know some people are totally against home day care, but it's something you might want to look into. I had the same problem with my 5yr. old when she was that age, now I have my 2yr. old in a home day care. i got lucky I found someone I kinda know but there are ways of checking these people out and I would only go through someone who is liscened
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 11:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• girl, you took this child, dropped him in an alien environment when he had been home all this time and left him there. i'd be upset too. i'm not bashing you, mind. i just have a little more understanding of how he's thinking. can you take a day off and go there with him, spend the day there, and get him used to the routines and stuff with you there? this is hwat my home chid care provider requested we do and even though neither of mine had ever been in daycare or at her house, by the end of hte day they were comfortable there. and they loved her. its a comfort thing.
    i'm sorry to hear about your husband passing and i think that the fact that you are handling it and caring for yourself and your son make you an amazing woman. please dont' feel guilty about putting him in daycare.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. It's great that you are stepping up to provide for you and your precious child. Both you and your child have gone through a lot. I have a 10 month old son as well- even at this young age they are SO aware of everything. It could be that the first week was a novelty- I know when my son is somewhere new he loves to explore- he will occupy himself happily whereas at home he seems to get bored more easily. So now that week 2 has rolled around, he may be realizing that this isn't a temporary play date, that it's somewhere he's going to be for long periods of time without you. I realize this must be incredibly difficult on both of you, give it some time. If he is safe and being well provided for, with lots of love and support from you when the two of you are together, he will adjust. Always say goodbye and reassure him that you will be back. He will need lots of extra love and attention as he adjusts to his new life.
    Bradica02

Answer by Bradica02 at 2:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2008