What is your understanding of the doctrine called "Communion of the Saints"?

And do you believe in this doctrine? (I'm asking Christians, of course, but anyone is welcome to answer)

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, basically it's what Gal51 said. Jesus said that He is the vine and we are the branches, and the only time the branches are cut off is when they are thrown in Hell, so those saints in Heaven are still part of the vine. This is the communion of saints, the mystical Body of Christ.

Oftentimes when people talk of the communion of saints, they can also be talking about the Saints in Heaven interceding for us. We can ask them to pray to God for us w/ a special intention. (This is completely different than conjuring up the dead.)

I'm Catholic, and I do believe in this.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Th communion of the saints is a reference to the "invisible" church, or "Body of Christ." Basically it is made up of those whose names are written in the Book of Life - both who are still living in this world, and those who have passed on. Calvinists would call them the "elect."

And, yes, I believe in it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, I do believe in this. I agree flatlander.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010