inexpensive breast pumps?

I am going back to work soon and need a good breast pump. I don't have a lot of money, and can probably only spend about $100 tops on one. I haven't had good experiences with cheap pumps. What kind of breastpump do you use and how much did you spend on it? Would you recomend it?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was able to get my insurance to cover most of the cost of mine. I bought the $300 electric pump and I only had to pay $45 out of pocket. It's worth a try.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I rented mine from the pharmacy, not sure if you can do this everywhere. It was $35 a month and I only used it 4 months. Better than the cheap ones, they don't work for crap.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Wow, that would be awesome. I don't currently have insurance, but maybe my son's would cover it. I have a hand pump, but it just doesn't work well at all!
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We were renting one for $50 a month. It was just too expensive. :(
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You really do get what you pay for with breast pumps. When you consider the cost of formula, $250 for a breast pump is not too much! If there is any way you can swing it, paying it off a little each month for a few months it will be worth it. Most moms who need to pump a few times a day at work really need a good quality pump.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i was renting one and it worked really well. It was $2 a day so it kinda adds up but worth while.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Do you qualify for WIC? In our states, and some others, WIC will give you a breast pump. Check into this.

Another option is craigslist (I'm sure somebody will want to slap me for saying it)....you can find Medela double pumps on there all the time, and to be safe just buy a new pump kit (tubes, cups, etc)- it's the motor/bag that they charge so much for.

I used the Lansinoh Double Electric for the first 4 months of returning to work when I had my daughter...it works just as well as the Medela I have but without as many nice features.

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Double-Electric-Breast-1-Count/dp/B001TUZOBA

Target also carries it in store.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try WIC or Craigslist.com
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 7:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There are many different types of breast pumps to select in the market. Picking the right one will help in keeping milk flowing frequently without any plugged ducts or an infection. Personally I love to shop from amazon.com which offer medela as well as ameda along with many more options too. Go for it.
    Amanda01719

Answer by Amanda01719 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2015

• For any mother, who plans to keep on breastfeeding after returning to work knows how important it is to have good breast pump. This equipment helps in providing nourishment for their kids when they can’t be there to nurse. Options for breast pumps are vast but as you are looking for cheap and good quality then no one beats Ameda, purely ideal for working moms. Suppliers like ilexmedical.com and others offer these products right at your home. It makes quick, easy and effective breast pumping experience, having very compact and lightweight.
    Jocelyn45

Answer by Jocelyn45 at 6:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2015