Ever had to give a gift back to the giver?

A friend gave us something over a year ago and has suddenly asked for it back as they need it (although not for atleast a year from now). I feel offended at having to part with something that came to us as a gift and that we rely on ourselves. We will be giving it back but it has shaken my affection and trust in her.

What have you done when a friend seems to suddenly turn on you or let you down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• You need to be honest with her & tell her that her behavior is very tacky. I would let her know how i feel. I'd tell her exactly this, but address it to her;

"I feel offended at having to part with something that came to us as a gift and that we rely on ourselves. We will be giving it back but it has shaken my affection and trust in YOU"

That's what is in your heart, that is what you need to tell her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I asked what the gift was, because i think it matters.

My mother in law gave her sister her wedding dress to wear for her wedding. She didn't really say "I'll let you borrow it" she just said she could use it. Well, when my MIL wanted the dress back, her sister bitched her out about it. But, c'mon....that was her original wedding dress. With something like that, i might understand. That is why i asked what the gift was.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• What was the gift if i may ask?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is not always easy to choose your friends. So far, I haven't really had a friend turn on me especially asking for a gift back. Wow!!! When I receive a gift I expect it to be mine forever and to do with it as I please - use and enjoy it, give it to someone else, or whatever. If any of my friends did that to me, I would have a difficult time trusting that friend again and am not sure that I would remain friends with that person. I guess that it sort of depends on how good a friend this person was and for how long we were friends. I may have given the person another chance but am not really sure even about that. What if you lost it? Could the friend buy the item for him/herself? Honestly, it would never occur to me to ask for a gift back. If I needed something I gave to someone else, I would buy it for myself. People are sure interesting. I hope that you make the best decision that works for you. Good luck!
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No need to say anything. She may be embarrassed by needing to ask for it back. Simply return it, thank her for the loan of it, and decide if you still want to be friends with her on the gift-giving level. At another time you can say that you think that this year you are not giving gifts to friends, or something similar.

Answer by Bmat at 3:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• yeah just be honest tell her how you feel but if she wants the gift that she gave you then buy her the same thing
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010