Another eating issue......

My 13 month old dd is still having eating problems. She seriously only wants her milk. I try EVERY day to give her solid foods to help her gain weight but she refuses. Even refuses her gummy vitamins all of a sudden. I don't know what her deal is. She is only a little over 18 lbs and i have seen the pedi for this issue, but i dont think she gets what i am trying to tell her. She told me to take her to a speech therapist for feeding issues which i did and they did not help at all. I need her to eat already i am worried that she is not getting enough nutrition. Please someone who has overcome this issue with their child.....help!

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hve you tried to put a little bit of baby cereal in a bottle with her milk and let her drink it. Try about a tsp at a time and see how it goes. That is what I had to do with one of my children. Then just gradually add a little more at a time.
    Flora407

Answer by Flora407 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• How about some pediasure in her bottle/sippy cup? I know it's not the greatest solution but it might help her put on some more weight. Have you exhausted all food possibilities? Sorry to hear you're going through this. I have a friend who's daughter will only eat french fries and chicken nuggets (home made, not McD's) and she has tried every food/combination of foods you can imagine! It's rough! Best wishes to you on finding a solution for the problem.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• How many times did you see the speech therapist? Sometimes it takes a little while for it to take hold. I'm sure you've been given advice many times, but I'll throw it out there anyway. May be something new to think about or try. It could be a texture thing. Have you tried different things like mashed potatoes, applesauce, different baby foods? Try not to get stressed out at meal times for her. She can tell when you are stressed and it will make her less likely to try the food. Also, try not to make a big deal. If she wont eat the sweet potato, maybe she'll like the carrots. If it doesn't work, set it aside and try again at the next meal time. Give her the milk after all else fails.
    How are her other milestones? Is she sitting up, got good eye contact, responding, etc? If all of those are good, give the speech therapy another try or two. Good luck mama.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice. Other than her feeding issues she is good in all her other areas. She is just about to start walking and she can hold her sippy cup. She babbles and does mostly everything a baby her age should be doing. It might be a texture thing, but sometimes I don't think its that because some of the foods I give her that she kind of like have the same kind of texture as others she spits out. Sometimes she will love a food and other times she acts like it's the grossest thing she has ever tasted.
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• hey do not feel bad maxym is going through all he will eat is ketchup plain yuck!!! and yougurt oh kids they are something else LOL Just keep offering her stuff she must not be to hungry they always told me if they are starving they will eat again I know not great advice but eh its something :)
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 10:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010