Induced vomiting or weak gag reflex?

My daughter gags on a lot of different foods to the point where she throws up. Sometimes I think she does it on purpose because she doesnt have to finish her dinner and eat that awful asparagus I put on her plate. Last night there were a lot of veggies with dinner so I told the kids if they ate it all they would get a special treat. She was shoveling food in her mouth and when she had the last piece of food from her plate in her mouth she threw up. She was not complaining of a stomach ache and was not complaining about the food. I dont think she would force vomiting when all she had to do was finish chewing what was in her mouth and swallow it? Anyone else have this problem? She was fine afterwards. (fyi she used to gag when she was a baby too just starting out but I think maybe she sometimes uses it now to her advantage??)

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she has sensory issues which can effect how kids react to certain textures of food. My 4 yr. old tried some squash the other day and he threw it up too. He said it was Yuck but he was trying to eat it anyway.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my daughter did that for a full year and a half with foods for a long time I thought she was doing it on purpose even punished her for doing it then one day I talked to her dr who explained it was a weakend gag reflux and should correct itself within a year and low and behold it did. Now he did tell me if it had not stopped by her fifth birthday or got substantially worse to bring her in but it never did get worse also she would do this with liquid medicine sometimes from the gag reflux being so weak I would talk to her dr about the weakened gag reflux possibility its a good chance thats what it is and it will go away around four to four and a half but if it is really bad or does get worse please talk to your dr
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008