Why does AT&T does this?

My friend told me he gets AT&T and has had "complete strangers" calling his phone. And lately I have been too and I'm also with the company. My house and cell is trashed by calls by wierd area code numbers. I keep my phone on because my SO works a dangerous job and I need to hear from him. Then my phone rings, wakes up my baby or me when I'm napping, just to get spammed. Should I cancel the contract. I've had it and I'm a step closer to doing it.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• First I'd call them and see if there is anything you can do about not getting the strange calls. Threaten to cancel. Talk to supervisors, but stay calm. If they won't do anything, cancel! You will most likely not be able to do anything to avoid getting slammed with fees, but it would be worth it, IMO. I've had Verizon for years and never had a call that wasn't for me or a wrong number.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Its not the company... I have AT&T and have had it for 3 years (when it was still cingular) I have NEVER had a call that wasnt for me. The only reason you would be getting strangers calling you is if they got your number some how or dialed wrong... that could happen with ANY phone company. If you are really worried about it... you could call AT&T. My husband works for them, and said that all they will do is explain to you that it has nothing to do with the company.... its not as if they are calling you. It is the people who are calling you.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• These calls are from area codes that I don't recognize and I get it at least ten times a day.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If you've ever put your phone number on a form (applying for a credit card, purchasing something online and they asked for a contact #), you could be getting calls from telemarketers. I've heard that they have a machine that makes the call and a real person gets on the phone after you pick up. I get calls like this, and I don't have AT&T.
    I can't remember the name of the website now, but there's a website where you can enter your phone numbers to stop those kinds of calls. Try that and see if it stops the calls. Otherwise, it could be that you got a phone number that someone had before and the calls are for them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• get your number on the "do not call list" ....they have a website
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i agree with babybugsmama. i have them. never had a problem.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2008