When does a baby.....

Start crawling?
I have a 4 month old and I was just wondering is it going to be soon or will it be a little while?

keaton10

Asked by keaton10 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually when they are sturdy enough to sit up, 4 months old is still too young, be patient mom, everything has it's time and place.

Answer by older at 3:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It varies a lot! Mine started crawling between 4 and 5 months. It started like an army crawl because his arms were really strong, then he finally got his arms and legs to coordinate together. My twin nieces just started crawling within the last month, and they are 8 months old.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I heard anywhere between 6 and 9 months is normal.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Some start sooner and some start within that time frame. It depends on the baby.
    Svetlana98usa

• mine is 6 1/2 months and nothing yet
    he's just started to sit up though!!!!
    JeffsBaby1

Answer by JeffsBaby1 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My first two sat around 6 1/2 months and didn't army crawl until 8 months, or crawl on hands and knees until 9 months, and some babies never crawl, so I don't think there is anything comparable between sitting up and crawling. My third baby crawled at 6 months and I've gotten a lot of comments on him being really advanced, but I've heard of babies crawling as early as 5 months and as late as never if they skip it, so it varies a lot.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The range of normal is 5 to 18 months. 9 months is the average. Some kiddos never crawl. My son crawled at 5 months and i was told that was pretty early.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Mine were both between 6-7 months. My first was on hands and knees from the get go. My second did the army crawl until 8 months, then he figured out how to get on his hands and knees.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Mine started at 5 months. She crawled before sitting up on her own. But just a week later she was sitting up.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• typically between 6.5 months and 12 months, but some children skip this entirely and just start walking.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010