Does your town have mandatory recycling?

Just wondering. Ours does. It's not a big deal. They've made it pretty easy. They supply us with one of those blue garbage bins and we put paper, cardboard, cans and plastic in it. The only effort I have to make is breaking down boxes and rinsing out the plastic tubs and aluminum cans. Bottles get put in a separate bin (which they also provide). We're actually considering asking for a smaller garbage can (we pay by the size can we have) because we have 3 times the amount of recycling as we have trash. We fill the recycling bin every week but the garbage is rarely filled.

My only issue I'm having is my husband doesn't care about it so he throws recyclable stuff in the trash and I have to dig it out and rinse out anything he uses because he won't do it. He just makes more work for me because he doesn't care.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 3:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We do. They tell us we don't have to rinse things, but I do because I don't want to attract bugs to the garage where it's stored. We don't have to separate, but I do that also.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In Chicago, where we used to live, it wasn't mandatory but a few years ago they dropped the blue garbage cans off at every house.  It was so simple--no sorting, no rinsing.  You just dumped everything in the can.  Originally they were going to come every other week to empty them but the program was so succesfull that they started coming every week right away.  Every week the blue bins would be overflowing down every alley, lol.

We went from having 2 completely ful garbage cans to barely filling one but overflowing the recycling.  I never realized how much recyclable stuff we threw away until then.  And that was with 7 people in the house.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Our town does not have mandatory recyclingbut they do supply free of charge a barrel to pu your recycling in and they pick it up free of charge unlike us who live in the country we recycle but we have to haul it into town. We recycle for a couple of reasons 1 we burn and that kind of stuff doesn't burn easily and 2 it's not good for the landfills to be full of all that

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Nope... we live in a condo complex and everything goes into there.
    psych_mom

Answer by psych_mom at 5:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i wish we did. my husband kids and i are FREAKS about recycling .....i have call every trash provider in the book and they tell me to start a recycling campain in my town, and the few bins the one provider does have in this town(its a village less than 5,000) people put their trash in it so now they are talking about removing it also.....
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 6:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• military post, and they give us a large blue trash can for it, andwe do recycle, but it is not mandatory
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's not mandatory here but we recycle alot anyway. i could use another yellow bin but the town will charge me $20 for a spare!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Technically, it is madatory, but it's not enforced, so not everyone does it. We do, but only for some of the stuff they ask for because we have always recycled/scrapped aluminum & other metals ourselves. The municipality provides blue recycling cans for us, too, and we can have as many as we want/need. We also compost, which further minimizes the amount of actual garbage we have to put out on pick up days. Most weeks we only have one 13-gallon garbage bag of actual trash at the curb for pick up and 2 full recycling cans.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010