Reading Time

Hi All, my son is 13 months and very busy. How can i get him to sit still for story time?

Spanglishtrini

Asked by Spanglishtrini at 10:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try reading to him at bedtime instead of during the day. 13 months is so young and all they wanna do is get into things.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My son is 15 months and I read to him before he goes to bed every night. Keep the story short and make it fun. My son goes and gets his book after I put his pjs on.. it is part of our routine.
    MelanieJ1013

Answer by MelanieJ1013 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You can't force a toddler to sit. Trying to do so will make him hate storytime (or potty time later on).
    So, how do you work those books in?
    Naptime and bedtime storytime. Make it part of your routine before sleeping. We sit in a rocking chair and read.
    While he is playing, sit on the floor nearby with the book flat on the floor and read it out loud. Let him wander away or come take a look as he wants to. Just point out things in the picutres and read the story. He is listening - even if he's on the other side of the room building a tower of blocks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Leave the books in a place where he can browse and play on his own time. Don't regiment his schedule so much. Its not important to have story time for a 13 mo old. Maybe a little later.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008