Do you ever have a really bad day and just feel like venting but then people complain and tell you that you whine too much?

I'm having one of those days. I'm tired and sick and fed up with my family so I decide to vent. Then I get told to quit whining because I should just be grateful my husband lets me stay home (huh?) and I shouldn't complain since I chose to have 5 kids.

My dad was big on that last one. He believes the kids driving me literally insane is punishment for being stupid enough to have kids in the first place and I don't deserve to have a break or to ever complain. No wonder my mom drank so much when I was a kid.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 3:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh, and that was my last credited question for the day so I'll stop venting on Answers now, lol. I just needed to get some of that off my chest. Did get a little nap...would have been longer if the idiot neighbors and their dogs hadn't woke me up.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That's why we have wonderful websites like this, so you have a place to vent, and people that will listen, understand, and offer encouragement (except for the few who have their hormonal panties in a bunch). Everyone gets fed up at some point, and when no one listens or tries to understand, it just makes it that much worse. Do something for you, if you're able to. Buy a new book for yourself or buy a new nail polish or pair of socks. Any little thing that might lift your spirits.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes! Plus, sometimes I just want to vent so I'll feel better, and I don't need necessarily need someone to try to solve the problem for me--I just need someone to LISTEN. If I try to vent with my husband, he usually tries to 'fix' it, and it just frustrates me more. I'm sure that happens to a lot of people.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We all have a right to complain every now and again ,and yes I can see why your mother drank if he is like that.
    Sorry I need to take a deep breath and relax cause I'm mad at my own family for some of the same reasons. Raising kids is a little frustrating sometimes whether you have one or fifteen and we all need a chance to vent and regain sanity.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ahh, I wish I had money to buy anything, lol. I could go for some nice new yarn (hubby says I have enough...like you could ever have enough yarn even if I have a 40 gallon tub full, lol). I did get the kitchen cleaned up, dirty clothes in the hamper. Someone straightened up the kids' bathroom (probably my 4yo) and my goal for the rest of the day is to finish a knitting project I have started.
    Somewhere in there I'll also straighten up some more, deal with the baby, help with homework, cook dinner, load the dish washer, clean up the kitchen again and do bedtime (I hate bedtime...I wish my husband worked days instead of nights). I'll be happy if I can get the sweater done that I'm knitting. Then I think I might make myself a pair of warm wool socks. :)
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If you called to vent and they sais "you whine too much" then Im guessing it isnt the first time you called to vent.

Perhaps you DO whine too much.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hmmm, so what exactly is whining "too much". A new question to ask tomorrow.
    Is there like a quota or something? Two whines a month and you're over your limit. Better choose wisely which bad days you whine about otherwise you might use up your allotted quota and then you are a "whiner" and should just shut the hell up?

Is there a different quota for different people? Because I see working moms get much more sympathy than SAHMs because they have it harder. I've also seen people with just 1 or 2 kids get more sympathy because people with big families chose that so have no right to whine about having too many kids. People with special needs kids are allowed to complain more because they didn't choose that but people with "normal" kids don't get to whine as much. Interesting.

(if you can't tell I'm in a better mood now even if my head is still killing me...allergy pills must be kicking in)
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My friends and family have always been very supportive to me, they tease that I'm a spoiled rotton brat..but they are just teasing!
    mom4jimbo

Answer by mom4jimbo at 4:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• sometimes my SIL will text me and ask whats wrong cause of my FB status and then i wont say much and she's all talking about herself and not just herself but her poor self.

i think sometimes people will hear you vent but really want to talk about themselves instead. i try not to vent too much cause then i get pple like my SIL who will just pretend she's interested but will want to talk about herself.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• too much.... well that IS a matter of perception. 

It IS a vague phrase "too much".

Perhaps spread your vents out instead of venting to one person, or find a person with a higher thresh hold for venting, or do it here where you are just one of millions and wont necessarily be singled out.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010