what would you do? no bashing please!!

My husband and I are already struggling finacially. We have a seven month old son and although we can barely pay our bills, we apparently make too much for goverment help. My husband is going to school part time and working full time. I am barely finding work, and getting ready to start school in the spring. I got a grant to cover classes, but they have to be fulltime classes. My husband is elidgable for the grant if he switches to fulltime classes. To do so he would have to only work part time. He's terrified of how we would live if he only worked part time and we both have pride issues about asking for help. On the other hand, if he were working part time, we would be elidgeable for medicade and WIC, maybe food stamps which I feel like is worth letting out pride go, so we can finish school and better our lives. I'm scared, but think it might be worth it for him to do fulltime school. What do you think?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I do not feel there is anything wrong with getting help from the system to better yourselves to stay off of it for life. I got financial help to go through school. I'm glad I did it and I don't regret it. In fact the state encourages college education and has lots of programs to help families go.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The very purpose of things like public assistance, WIC, food stamps, etc. are to assist people temporarily, so that they can improve their lives. States all talk about adjusting their programs for "welfare to work" or "welfare for school" so that people receiving assistance can educate themselves or get into the workforce with the intention that they will not be on these programs forever.

So why NOT use them as they should be used? Pride and self-worth are important, but they are less important that your child and his well-being.

Isn't it better to admit later that you accepted some help when you needed it so that you could advance yourselves enough to provide for your son for his entire lifetime?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Personally, I can see where the issues of pride come in. But, at the same time, you both have the opportunity to go to school and better yourselves, which means better employment opportunities in the future and not having to rely on public assistance in the future. I would say swallow your pride, get the help you need and finish school. In the future, you can tell your kids about how you struggled through tough times and succeeded.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If you need to get on government help, do it. You've obviously paid into the system, you're going to school to better your life, you deserve it!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thank you! :)
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Focus on school and rely on assistance to do so if you have to; thats what its there for and it will work out better for your family in the long run.
    tharealty2

Answer by tharealty2 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know exactly where you're coming from right now. DH and I are both starting school in January. Im a SAHM right now to our 9 month old DS and DH works full time. We're struggling financially right now too. We're getting help from the GOV as soon as school starts. It's the only way to better your lives for you and your child, and in the end you won't need assistance anymore. I Hope things get better for you soon Mamma. Cause Lord knows anyone in the same boat as me needs to see some light at the end of the tunnel to keep their heads up :D.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 4:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Get all the help while you can to make your future better.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 7:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters - we are in a similar situation, and we will probably end up relying on state aid to help us through the inevitable rough patches. There is nothing wrong with getting help when you NEED it to better your lives and your children's lives. I know it's a huge pride issue, but I think it would be worth it to be able to make more money after school and give your kids everything they need and deserve in life.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Stay in school and get all the assistance you deserve..Also just a thought but look into charitable organizations. There are 2 that I know of that I know of that will meet with you and in some cases help with utilities or sometimes partial rent, They are both catholic organizations..."Sowing Seeds" and "Saint Vincent De Paul" Google it and see if there is a chapter near you...It cant hurt to try. Good luck
    judith106

Answer by judith106 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010