How do you structure Christmas gifting with your children?

My 7 yo made a list yesterday (yes, this early). On it- a Wii, a DS, a four wheeler, a bicycle, games for the before mentioned electronic games, a tv, and the list went on. I should mention we also have a 5 yo and a 2 yo.

What limits do you set for Christmas- do you give indications before hand that this is not realistic? this is the first year we have experienced any of ours asking for EVERYTHING. They do believe in Santa...

In years past, they all got 3 individual gifts that were special to just them and then one large gift for all 3 to play with. But I should add that the 3 gifts averaged $50 or less, NOT $150 or more...

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should just casually say that you reveiwed the list and it is way too much and just chuckle and tell him/her that Santa can pick something from the list if he needs ideas but the joy of giving is choosing the gift. Also mentions that surprises are nice!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, I would sit down the 7 year old and tell them that while the list is great it isn't something that is a realistic thing. They all cost lots of money and try and help them decide what you all shoud do about it and give some limits and tell prices also if you know them. You could try and say maybe we could get a Wii for the whole family and some games but then there would have to be smaller things instead of something big. They need to know that money doesn't grow on trees and how hard it is to get everything they want.
    My 8 yr old still believes in Santa also she wants a DS so we told her that maybe we could get the DS for her and Sanat could bring the games.
    I would however stick with the orginal plan of all 3 getting something that they each want and then something bigger for them all together
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah, our 10 year old listed every item she saw on TV last year on her list to Santa. Then, she did the same for her little brother. We looked at the lists and said "Santa doesn't bring you everything. He doesn't want kids to get spoiled." So then it was a surprise to see which items Santa would bring. Mom and dad give presents too, but they're usually lame like clothes or socks.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I explain to my son that its just a wish list. Not a "I'm gonna get all this list". I like having multiple ideas. Family calls and asks what he wants or needs and I can refrence the list. I loved making lists as a kid. I knew I wasn't gonna get everything, but I was always happy and surprised by what I DID get! =)
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would let him know that it would be unrealistic to get everything on his list. My older one never asked for more than one or two things, so I never had a problem like that with her. My little ones are only 3, so they'll be happy with whatever they get. I try to get each child one special bigger gift, a couple of smaller special gifts, and stocking stuffers.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well your job will be to mention items in casual conversation but know let him catch on that you are "fishing." Try to get a feel for what you think he wants most by judging his reactions and level of excitement.
    modaddict17

Answer by modaddict17 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oops *don't * let him
    modaddict17

Answer by modaddict17 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• we have 4 children and 1 on the way, and each child gets about $250.00 at christmas, so we get certain things off the list. We explain that Santa has to give to may kids, so you wont get EVERYthing
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In your case I would say santa dosnt like greedy kids, that ask for tonnes of things. That he has only a certain amount of room in the sleigh so XYZ wont fit.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Tell him to pick one thing he wants most and ask santa for that. I think what you have in place is great.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2010