My 14 month old daughter is hitting and I don't know how to best handle this, anyone have any suggestions?

She hits when she is upset or doesn't get her way. And when I tell her no don't hit, it's not very nice she begins to hit herself. is anyone else having this problem?

writergrl0817

Asked by writergrl0817 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you see her reach out to hit, whether it be you, someone else or herself, take her hand gently but firmly and tell her in a clear, firm voice: No Hitting. Tell her it's okay to feel angry but hitting is not okay. It's not easy venting frustration when you don't have the words to say it. Maybe redirecting her attention toward something she can have at the time will help. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree with the above. Catch her before she hits. When she stops give her lots of praise. Try to head off these situations as well. Be very very clear on expectations. Don't say no one time and yes the next. Be consistant. This is an age of getting frustrated for a baby. They hae to learn boundaries and it is your job to show her the way.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• thank you for your answers!! I didn't even think to praise her when she doesn't do it, sometimes i get so frustrated that it never crossed my mind.
    writergrl0817

Comment by writergrl0817 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• hold her in ur arms and keep holding her until she calms down
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010