Why am i losing sleep now?!

Before i was pregnant i could sleep for up to 14 hours a day (yes i barely did anything it was summer time or the weekend) and the sleep was EASY.

Now since i've been pregnant i have the hardest time trying to stay asleep. Im so exhausted throughout the day that i should be sleeping til at least 10am with no problem. Now i find myself going to bed at 11 or midnight sometimes and waking up at 7am.

When I wake up I also have a very terrible headache. It never seems to go away.

I was wondering if this was part of the pregnancy because I never rest now and I fear that my growing baby isnt going to rest when i rest.

P.s. i am VERY comfortable in my bed at night. Always

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Oh it's sooo normal. Some women sleep like babies, some have insomnia. I for one have had a mix of the two during my pregnancy. Now I'm 32 weeks and I have to take a sleep aid or I'll be up all night. I still wake up two or three times because I have to turn over, and I have horrible hip pain :(

You could get Unisom or Tylenol Simply Sleep, or just plain Benadryl (the diphenhydramine is what makes you sleep). Or if you'd rather get something like Ambien, which is perscription, you could talk to your doctor. They'll tell you to try all of the OTC stuff first though.

Don't worry about not sleeping though, it's totally normal. It's due to hormones and crap : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I'm sure your baby is getting rest! 14 hours of sleep a night is a bit excessive anyway, I think you would be good on 8 - 10 hours a night. As for the headaches, make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• could it also be stress related though? because ive had a lot of stress lately. I see my OBGYN tomorrow (unfortunatly im still seeing who i want to have as my doctor and this one is very rude to me so ill about asking her).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Oh yes, stress could probably cause sleeplessness as well. But don't worry about it hurting your baby, stress can only harm you if it's incredibly extreme. Insomnia is a mixture of a bunch of things, it's a good thing you brought up stress. As long as you're getting any sleep at all though, you should be okay. If the whole no sleep thing starts seriously interfering with your daytime life, you could ask your doctor about good de-stressing exercises or winding-down tips. And again, you could try the OTC sleep aid. Good luck, I hope you get some sleep soon, I know it sucks!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i used to sleep a ton and when i hit my 3rd trimester it gets harder. take naps during the day. dont worry about the baby not getting rest, the baby actually is active when ur sleeping, and rests when ur active, but its a little fetus, its gonna sleep all day if it wants to no matter what u do. if i wake up early, i usually get something eat use the bathroom etc and then lie back down see if i can sleep more. theres no shame in sleeping the day away when u have a life inside u sucking all ur energy!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008