How much child support is "enough" ?

Say your ex makes 100 grand a year and you make around 40 grand...Do you think 1000.00 a month is fair? Also the dad wants nothing to do with the kid...decided this on the day the child was born, not before.

judith106

Asked by judith106 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• How many kids? What is the rent? Monthly expenses? etc.... those are all things that need to be taken into account.

My oldest son's father is supposed to pay $386 a month and my youngest son's father is supposed to pay $580 a month.... combined it's about $1000.... I don't get a single dime. I honestly think that child support should and ONLY be based on food, shelter, clothes, medical, child care/schooling.... other people think differently.

So to answer your question.... NO, $1000 a month is not too much.... depending on the situation!
    Luv.My.Kidz

Answer by Luv.My.Kidz at 4:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i dont think so
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would say no based on our situation. Dh makes 35,000 and she makes 20,000 and he pays $800/month. Is the child in school or daycare? If daycare, that would raise the child support but is he also providing medical and dental for the child? Things like that should be taken into consideration.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Katie, I think your husband got screwed..any how the dad does not pay medical and the child is in school
    judith106

Comment by judith106 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Enough to pay for half of the child's needs. I would say that $1,000 a month is enough for ANY child. Hell, we live on only $2,500 a month - and that's 2 adults, a child, and a dog.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Child support is determined by the courts. They go by how much the none custodial parent makes. It is also common for the non-custodial parent to pay half of all medical expenses and half of all extra-curricular activities.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010