What do you think of this?

I was browsing through quotes, and I came across this. Now I'm not trying to start anything, lol, I'm just looking to see what this says to you, and to see where the conversation takes us. :)

Anyway, here it is :

I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance or admit a right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others.
Thomas Jefferson

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What about this one:

The last time we mixed politics and religion, people were burned at the stake!
    -Bumper Sticker

I like the two you posted!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've read many things about Thomas Jefferson being an atheist. He wrote The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was Thomas Jefferson's effort to extract the doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as perceived misinterpretations he believed had been added by the Four Evangelists.

I think that both of these quotes are good, especially Eleanor's. You can't run education or government by one religion, especially in the USA, where we have a melting pot of religions. Not everyone has the same beliefs and since everyone is free to practice what they want, it wouldn't be fair.
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 4:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I LOVE those quotes! LOVE them ! Thank you !
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh, oh, and this on too! :)

Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I think, recognize that the domination of education or of government by any one particular religious faith is never a happy arrangement for the people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I like that, SarahLeeMorgan :)

I found this one, too:

Religious persecution may shield itself under the guise of a mistaken and over-zealous piety.
    Edmund Burke
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh, I agree akmmcarty :) I've heard about his version of the Bible, too. I think its really interesting. :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010