What to take on the airplane for the kiddo

So we are going to vist my DH's grandparents in Ohio, we live in oregon. What can/should I take for my 1year old to play with? He is very busy and this will be his first plane ride and long distance trip. The way back wont be bad because he will sleep ( we wont arrive back in oregon til midnight) But the way there will be through the day. Any suggestions?

browningmom

Asked by browningmom at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Travel

• Agree that you shouldn't assume kiddo will sleep, so keep that in mind and be prepared if he doesn't.

In addition to the suggestions above, also consider a notebook or activity book and some crayons, as well as small containers of Play-Doh. You might even find that some kids (like mine) could spend HOURS just playing with the window shutters. ;)

Oh, also, pack plenty of diapers. My first flight with my son, he was 7 months and we were going from Los Angeles to New York. We were delayed over and over again (due to weather), and I think we were down to our last diaper. I was mortified that none of the vendors in the airport sold diapers!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 11:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• As much as you might hope, don't assume he'll sleep. Some kids, especially if the flight is rough, just can't sleep in airplanes.

Take a bottle or sippy cup. The sucking will help his ears adjust. (If that doesn't work, ask a flight attendant for 2 empty cups, stuff paper towels dampened in HOT water in the bottom of each and hold them over his ears.)
    Snacks!
    A story book or something you can read to him quietly.
    Favorite blanket or stuffy
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• As a flight attendant, the children your son's age did best if they were sitting in their carseat (safety item that can't be denied UNLESS there is no extra seat available. In that case, it can be gate-checked).

Fish crackers, cheerios, puffs, whatever your child likes...have them ready for any delays on runway while taxiing. Also helpful during those restrictive "seatbelt sign" times.

Several small 'new to him' toys that can be pulled out separately throughout the flight as "happies"...A small toy that will crawl on the tray table is always a hit. There are some little (3 in a pack) soft rubber that are for the bathtub that are great for chewing toy and tub toy at house.

Books are soooo handy...esp. the ones he can hold and eat on! Stickers have always been a hit too, but please, not on the windows or trays! Bring some extra paper!

Have a wonderful trip!!! Be sure you ask for "wings" at the ticketcounter for his babybook
    KonaNannie

Answer by KonaNannie at 1:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Don't count on him sleeping. I took my two year old from NY to CA last month, and she only slept a couple of hours. I flew at 7:30pm, thinking that she would sleep until we touched down in CA at midnight. no such luck. There's too much to see and do!!

Bring crayons and paper, small toys, stuffed animals, things like that. Also make sure you have more than enough snacks. And a sippy cup or bottle. If you child takes a paci, pack a few with you to take on the plane.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Oh and some books!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010