Has anyone ever had a repeat c-section, just weighing both options

I'm not even sure if I'm pregnant yet so nothing really being decided at this point, but I know both c-section and a trial of labor are an option for me according to the OB that did my surgery. Yes I've done my research please don't use this post just to tell me about what some site told you about VBAC.
I'd just like to know for the people who had a repeat c-section how it went how was it different then the first time? Was recovery more difficult? Where the adhesions a big issue?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have heard of women having multiple C-sections and everything working out fine. Really, either one has its pros and cons and you will have to weigh them and just do what you feel more comfortable with.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My first recovery was pretty smooth, but my recovery was actually easier the second time because I hadn't been on pitocin for 12 hours and up all night before surgery. I was ready to go home after 48 hours, went out for dinner with family and did some light shopping on day 3. I even started working a few hours a couple days a week starting @ day 16. It was a breeze.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had a 2nd c-section. It was about the same as the first one for me, both the procedure and the recovery. I had large babies (one of the weighed 11 and a half pounds) and some health issues that made it very risky to try for VBAC, but if it weren't for that fact, I wish I could have tried a vaginal delivery the 2nd time. Everyone I know who has done both says that the vaginal delivery is better, mainly due to recovery time and complications.
    I do have a problem now that was due to my c-sections--it's called an endometrioma and I will have to have surgery to remove it. Just one more reason I wish things had gone differently for my births. I don't waste time crying over it--the kids are here and are safe and happy--but I encourage everyone to try for a vaginal delivery if it's possible and doesn't pose a risk to mom or baby.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had a repeat because the baby was in the same face up position and the doctor gave me a 20% chance of being able to be successful. I weighed my options. I really wanted to do a VBAC but I DIDN'T want to do labor, pushing AND a C-sec again even more! I was afraid of my odds and chose to play it safe. I recovered so much quicker the second time around. The first time was not only recovering from the C-Sec. but 32 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing as well. I don't wish that misery on my worst enemy!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My sister just had her second c-section and she said this one went better than the first. She recovered in alot less time.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For me it was harder..much harder. First I was recovering and had another child to tend to besides the new baby. The surgery itself was difficult because I had so many adhesions. It took the surgeon much longer to close the second time. The worst overall though..was my son. With my oldest I had been in active labor for more than 30 hours. Any mucous, fluid..whatever inside his lungs was squeezed out during labor. My first son was an emergency and my incision is vertical. My second c-section was planned so no labor. My son was born with what they used to call 'wet lung'..it is more commonly called double pnuemonia only there was just fluid..not bacteria at first. We nearly lost him 3 times before he was 7 days old. I have been told repeatedly over the years that had I been allowed to go into labor the chance of him being born like that would be less than 10 %.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm curious as to what causes an endometrioma? (an abnormal growth or tumor of the uterine lining,right?) Sorry my medical terminology is a little rusty. Do you know? I really am just weighing all my options just a fairly large number of the women I know do Vbac but I just don't know.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• OP, my surgeon said that the endometrioma was caused by either uterine cells leaking out during the c-section, or if there was a tiny opening on the incision afterwards, the cells could have slipped out then. He said it is more likely to happen the more c-sections you have (which seems kind of obvious anyway!). For the first year or two after my 2nd c-section, I thought the lump was just some scar tissue, but it seemed to be getting bigger over the last few years, and more painful too. I finally had it biopsied and was diagnosed with the endometrioma. I hate that I had to go through 2 cesaereans and now--over 7 years later--it's still haunting me physically.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm just scared of doing a TOL cause from the looks of things from our last delivery( I labored for 18 hours before they found out he was the wrong direction) medicaid will not pay for an epidural unless I have a c-section and I hardly handled the cervical checks without it. I'm a sexual abuse survivor pain in sexual body parts causes panic attacks for me and I really can't afford to have one in labor so it scares me.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Just had my 2nd 2 days ago and they said my uterus had noo adhesions and frankly looked like id never had a sec they said it was smooth and the operating nurse said I had the most beautiful uterus lol I healed quickly from that and it was an emergency no that my 2nd was also medically needed it wasn't techinally an emergency so it went very slow for me compared to the first and I had a spinal insead of a epidural which is just a shot (spinal) and it took no time to get and I've had no pain afer like the epidural I feel good even wo meds for hrs so even though I didn't have. A choice knowing now how well it went I would have picked bc I know my risks for vbac and they are so much higher and the results are not worth the attempt should something happen....so I'm happy w my 2nd
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010