what (if any) are the restrictions your daycare gives when they have a party, or celebration?

My son's daycare is having a Halloween party this Friday, and the restrictions were nothing homemade, and no carbonated beverages or beverages with red40 in them.

Shouldn't peanut butter be on there? I really don't want to find out (or any other parents to find out) that my son has a peanut allergy from a call to go to the hospital cause he isn't breathing, you know?

and red40, is because it makes some kids "hyper" Seriously? your loading them up with candy and sugar drinks and worried about red40, but not allergens?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Kids' Health

• LOL...Red40 is horrible on carpets, you can't get it out!

I'm sure that the provider knows better than to give peanut butter to anyone under 2 years old, and it would probably make the list if there was someone allergic actually in the daycare. Do you really plan to NEVER give your child peanut butter? What about eggs, milk, and wheat? Everything has a potential to be an allergen.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• oh no I plan on giving him peanut butter but I was just wondering what the norm was. I worked in a daycare with a very strict policy on peanut products because it can be a deadly airborne allergen that is why I was concerned. Of course there is potential for just about everything.. i just thought since the one I worked at had it that it was the norm but apparently it is not...

my sons old daycare put oral medication up his nose so i dont presume to think they know better about anything.

god, I wish I were a SAHM
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't recall any restrictions for my duaghters party. I made cup cakes w/o icing. The teacher said if I brought them in, she would wipe off the icing since it's soo sweet (for one year olds!). They thought it was nice that I made them like that.

My day care has signs up for the kids with allergies so any teacher in the room would know of the allergy. As far as unknown allergies, you find out when you find out. My daugher's 17 months and she was eating peanuts over the weekend. No biggie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My daughters daycare was no nuts in any of the treats. She is allergic to mik and eggs as well, so for celebrations I would make something special that she could have as well. I know in public school treats have to be store bought and I guess the reason for that is so there is no liability issues if someone tainted the treats so to speak. I guess it depends on the area.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I'm sure that daycare knows if anyone is allergic to peanuts. She feeds them every day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son's first daycare gave him peanut butter and other items I specifically told them not to. And he was in the infant room. We aren't there anymore.
    His current day program does not like red dyes and food coloring. That's about it. I pack him a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich and he's in the 2/3 year old room now. I actually asked they not feed him grapes or cherry tomatos because he has issues with some of those items.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008