Would you buy your 4 or 5 year old their own cell phone? And why?

I'm asking because I had a guy tell me today that he and and his wife want to buy their 4 year old daughter her own cell phone, and a friend posted on facebook that she bought her son his own cell phone for his 5th birthday.

Fawn80

Asked by Fawn80 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• NO! What the hell does a child that young need a CELL for? That kid should hardly be away from its parents. That is crazy!!!!!!!!!!
    AugustMidge

Answer by AugustMidge at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No. That is to young.

Answer by louise2 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No freakin way. Thats insane. What business to little kids have talking on their own phone! Kids need to be kids and thats just crazy to me!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• hell no
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yea, I fake one in the toy department.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 5:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• um, NO! at 5yo, we're still working on making sure he brushes his teeth properly and his backpack gets from the car to his classroom chair..cell phone?? not for several years, thank you, and not until he's a teenager who has shown responsibility.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My oldest will be 5 in May, and he will start school next year. So he will be getting his first phone in July or August. I don't ever want there to be a time when he can't get help for him or a friend should something happen and I don't want to trust my child's school or bus drivers to always take the proper actions or even be able to... It's purely a safety issue for me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My two eldest have one, although I can see how it's excessive. They have the "kid" cell phones that basically can only call a few numbers. It isn't a toy, it's just basically a direct line to us at all times.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That sounds crazy. I have joked about wishing I could give her something like an earpiece so when she is playing upstairs I could just tell her to come downstairs for dinner or whatever instead of going upstairs myself or yelling up them but not as far as a cell phone!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't even consider it until they are in sports and old enough that I didn't feel I needed to stay the entire time at practice. And then they would only need it if practice got done early or canceled. So... maybe.... 8 AT THE EARLIEST. And even then it would be one those kids phones that only allow them to call like 3 numbers. I think they are called Meego or something like that.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010