will this hurt her?

We have gotten open enrollment approval from a middle school that our daughter will be attending next year. This will be her 1st year in middle school. We are wondering if it would be to her betterment to down-play this since she has the rest of the school year in her 4th grade current school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You go to middle school in 5th grade??? I ask because so do we and I thought ours was a flukee thing. Why do you want to play it down? Shouldn't she perhaps be seeking out other friends that may also be going there? Is it a bit more exclusive and you don't want to appear snobbish? I think what I'm getting at is why the hush-hush?
    BTW 5th grade in middle school is HARD!!! Homework can last up to 3 hours a night and mine is a 3.0 student.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I am not sure what open enrollment means. Is she aware it's coming up? I would tell her since you got approval. Make it what it is. If it's a great thing, act like it is. If it's just info for now, let her know and forget about it for awhile. It's nice to look forward to fifth grade when you are in fourth because one grade builds on the others. As it comes closer, she will be more excited and maybe apprehensive about middle school. Take the cues from her to know how to treat the subject.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It all depends on the child...does she adapt well to change? Will any of her friends from her present school attend the new school? These are two questions that you first must ask yourself before you begin expressing concern over hurting her...If she doesn't adapt well to change, it may be a good time to begin discussing the idea of her attending a new school in the fall...They may (I'm sure they do) have open house and when that time comes around, let her attend with you and get a feel for the new school and teachers....Good luck
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have two 10yrs olds an 8yrs old left at home.The two 10s are girls an they are excited about going to middle school.They are going to be in 6th grade,SO ours starts at grade 6-8 then high school is *9-12 Yes I would take her.Let her see what she is up against
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2008