How can I effectively night train my daughter?

She has been potty trained since she was almost 3, and she just turned 4 on the 25th of September. However, she cannot stay dry at night. I have her wearing Goodnights underpants so that her mattress doesn't get ruined....I am at a loss.

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 5:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's never a good idea to rush your child. If her body isn't ready to hold it all night, it's just not. You don't want her to feel bad if she can't help it. Some kids are very sound sleepers and just don't wake up to go to the bathroom. You could try cutting down her fluids a few hours before bedtime. But that's something pretty ovbious and you've probably done that!
    Is she concerned about it? Does she care about the pull up? If it doesn't matter yet then just give her time. You'll see nights where they are dry then wet and then dry again. That's a good sign that she's almost there.
    Some parents like to just carry their kids to the bathroom while they're asleep. They take them around midnight and that helps them stay dry all night. The kind of wake up, whine a bit and then go! Then you can close the gap of time by taking her later and later.
    All depend on how much the dryness matters right now!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She may not stop wetting the bed until age 9. Some kids are just not mature enough in bladder size and control to not wet the bed at night. You might want to check with a doctor to rule out a medical issue though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• There is a wide range of what is normal for kids to be dry at night. She will gradually get there. My kids were 8 before they were dry at night. My granddaughter was 7.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My dd turned 4 in August, and it is hit and miss with her.... She was doing really well for about a week or 2. We even took the pull ups back to the store! THEN, of course, she had an accident a couple nights later.... I'm wondering the same thing, too. And Yes, we limit drink a couple hours before bed...
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• maybe try waking her up every few hours to get her to go pee might help.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Other than helping by quiting liquids after 6 and maybe getting her up to go in the night, most Dr's will tell you this is phisiological and not something we have control over. I swore I was going to send my kid to first grade still in a pull up at night. She grew out of it on her own around 6..just started waking up dry. If your child is dry all day, I would not worry about it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010