Sewing Machine Advice

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a sewing machine. I've never owned one and I've never sewn...but I'd like to. I am completely clueless as to what sewing machine to buy. I am looking for something with a digital screen and that can embroider at the touch of a button. I want a lot of options of different designs and such. I don't want to spend over $400. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What's your favorite sewing machine?

mom2sophia711

Asked by mom2sophia711 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hey Morgan,
    I'll sell you my mother-in-law for $2. She sews really well.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Well, as soon as you add "digital screen" and "embroidery", the price tag shoots over $800 dollars.

I'd suggest you look at Amazon. You can see lots of different brands, read reviewers comments about what they liked and didn't like, and compare prices. That will help you weed out the bad brands and lemon models.

You can also visit a fabric store in your area. They can show you how they work and usually have lessons.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My mother bought me a sewing machine last fall at Jo-Ann Fabrics. Right now there is a sale on Singer brand-name machines (which is a well known and good company). I found a Singer Futura CE-100 for $399.99... it actually can be hooked up to your computer for embroidery options. So it is a pretty nice machine for the money. With just starting out in sewing, I do recommend a basic machine though. There is the Singer Touch & Sew for just a hundred less then the other machine ($299.99). Jo-Ann has free shipping as well if you order online. Sewing is one of my other "to-do" list items this summer that I haven't done yet! :0
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 12:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I started sewing with my first baby. Try to find a sewing class in your area. I started with baby clothes. Don't buy individual patterns to start. try finding a book of patterns. As far as a machine I would wait to spend anything until you learn what you really are going to use.
    Teritryme

Answer by Teritryme at 12:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i have a pfaff now, but i have moved up in the world. my others were brothers. easy to use and cheap. they do everything the big boys do but cheaper. i got one in walmart for 160 and it was amazing. go for it.
    CookieZenmilk

Answer by CookieZenmilk at 6:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You should check out craigslist.org or freecycle.org for a free or inexpensive machine if you have never sewn before. My first machine was a hand-me-down, and I was AWFUL to that poor thing. Learning to use a machine is best done on one you didn't pay alot for. Then, once you get comfortable with machine sewing, you should look for one that has more options or is newer.
    xanxan

Answer by xanxan at 12:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2008