Period-like cramps: why am I having them??

I've been getting on and off period-like cramps (you know the kind that are dull as opposed to sharp, but still equally painful and intense).... I'm having another one now! This is only my 2nd one over the last 15 min, they seem to come in waves. My belly doesn't tighten and they don't feel like contractions should feel, but this is my 1st baby and I'm not really sure how they feel. Yesterday my OB sent me to the hospital to monitor my contractions and I was 3 cm dilated. While I was there a nurse checked to see how dilated she thought I was and she rammed her fingers up there, hitting something hard and it caused MAJOR menstrual cramping ("yep, you're 3 cm" Thanks for that next time be gentle please!). So where could these cramps be coming from?

Evansmommy91

Asked by Evansmommy91 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Drink some water and lay on your left side. Time them.

It may be contractions starting OOORRR it may be from Mrs. FingerShoverInTheVagina. LOL That too can cause cramps.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The cramps are probably caused from the cervical exam you had. Completely normal.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The cramps are contractions. That's what they feel like.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ok, thanks! I had them on and off over the weekend, before the hospital, but I read that braxton hicks sometimes felt that way. they haven't come back so I'll just assume they weren't cause for alarm. Just my body doing weird little things...I'm ready to get this baby out though! I know that much!
    Evansmommy91

Comment by Evansmommy91 (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Contractions feel like period cramps??? Noooo! I HATE these cramps! I can't even imagine them becoming stronger!
    Evansmommy91

Comment by Evansmommy91 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, Bad period cramps....mixed with diarrhea cramps if you're like me. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010