Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you change someone elses address?

My mom gets her mail delivered to my house. I have asked her a million times to please stop, but she won't. She does not want my dad to see all her credit card bills, but the thing is, she never picks up her mail, and when I try to give it to her, she won't take it. I have even had the sheriff come to my house once to serve her with papers because she is using my address for everything now. Can I just go to the post office and legally change her address back to where she really lives? (It is getting so bad that the creditors are now calling my house because they look up the phone number by the address and won't listen to me when I tell them she doesn't really live here. This has been going on for over three years now!)


Asked by fallnangel93 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 19 (7,663 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • My mom did a similar thing - we still get some mail in her name but it has been alot less. We wrote Return to Sender, this person moved to XXXX and filled in her real address!! Once you do this a few months, they will try the new address you give. Worked for me!

    Answer by at 8:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Well considering you need to sign the change of address form you would need to forge her signature. You could however write "return to sender no one by that name lives here" on the envelope and put it back in the mail or simply inform the mail man that no one by that name lives there and he needs to send all mail back. As for using the address in other ways I am not sure about that. My ex refused to have his mail forwarded after he left and I did what I just told you and it worked. After a few months the credit cards got the idea.

    Answer by aeneva at 6:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • YOU CAN IF YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for them(caps sorry) kids, spouse ect.. they send a mailer to the new and old address so if they really arent moved, they will be able to change it back

    Answer by youlookin4me at 6:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • i posted before reading the whole thing, i would start putting return to sender on her mail, tell her you are doing it and give her a chance but if she is getting served and not at that address it may com e back to haunt one of you! i still get mail for people who havent lived in this house in 6 yrs.

    Answer by youlookin4me at 6:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I forgot about having to sign the change of address form...I am going to have to start just putting "return to sender" on everything. I have asked her so many times to just change it, and she keeps saying she is going to get a P.O box, but just never does. She doesn't have to worry about it, so she does nothing to change it, but here I am, having to deal with all her crap all the time, and it gets really irritating.

    Comment by fallnangel93 (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I'd do return to sender.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010