Are any of you on disability? Why? Do you KNOW anyone on disability, why?

Just disappointed in in laws. They are always seeking a way to get on disability when they are very capable of working.

Some of dh family has succeeded. My MIL just started trying. She is just flat out lazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• No, I am not on disability, nor is anyone I know of. Until I moved down here to SE Missouri, I had never heard of disability.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know of two people on disability --one is my son, who has severe autism. The other has had several heart attacks and is not really in the greatest of health. There is a difference between a true disability and someone who chooses not to work.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know people that are on disability that NEED it, like my client who has a brain injury, and my MIL who is blind. And people that don't, like my old landlord that was always doing hard labor in his backyard, but claimed he can not work an actual job and goes on vacations to Europe every couple of months (yes, I did report him). Either way you have to get approved to get it...
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My friend's wife is on permanent disability. She has sarcoidosis, and granulomas have appeared in her lungs and brain. She has to take monthly chemotherapy to keep it in check, but despite that, she often wakes up some mornings unable to move any of her limbs.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Since I am a Vet, I live near the Veterans Hospital and know many who are on disability. As it is, I am working to file for it, as low as I can file for, but enough to get it declared. I was born with deformed feet and ankles. I fought to get into the service with them, I won, but I knew as I got older I would have problems with them. Now, I can no longer stand for long periods of time. I am trying to get this declared so that when I go get a job (I am in college right now) I have my paperwork to show I can not do a job standing up. I do not want money from it or anything as I like to earn my own way, but I want to ensure that I am not threatened with losing my job if I do not stand at a counter or something. I can get up and walk around, that is no problem as my weight is always being distributed.

But I do know of some who are trying to get it and can work. They just want an easy way out.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• See most of the people here that you guys are naming I would agree that they need it.

My MIL mows the grass, goes on vacations, shops all the time, keeps her other grandkids... and claims she cant work....i just get so disappointed and I dont know why.

I expect them to be like this...but it still surprises me everytime.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know quite a few people on disability. Some truely need it and some don't. I know parents who file for disability for their children who don't need it either. When I was a behavior therapist, one mother pleaded with me to stop writing in my reports how much her child was improving because then she would lose SSI for him and have to go to work. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I know of a mother who kept getting called into the SS office and questioned about her child's need for SSI, when THAT child truely needed it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know several people on disability or applying. Not all of them "seem" to need it on the surface. The Marine who after having a severe back injury drove several miles and completed a training exercise before getting treatment. DH chiefly; he would be someone that people would question, even though he is in a wheelchair, has a rare speech condition, random spasms (not seizures), and really can't do anything by himself or for himself some days. We are still waiting on a determination, but I am hoping it goes through this time- he's been out of paying work for two years now. The son of a woman I work with- he was born with a rare condition that kept him from growing several limbs. Also consider: those who are only mildly disabled were the first to lose jobs in the recession, and are now unable to find jobs; their only chance of an income is disability, even if it looks like they can still work. Devil's advocate ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Amen, preacherskid. I'm tired of people making snap judgments about people on disability without understanding the circumsyances surrounding the disability.

SSI and SSD are EXTREMELY difficult to get on. 70% of applicants are initially reject. If you choose to appeal the decision, you need to have documentation from a doctor, AND a social security doctor. Then after that, you need to go before a social security judge. It's not easy.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• rejected**
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010