STD and Baby?!

Unfortunatley I once had an STD from a very gross boy who didnt tell me. When I found out I had one the doctor said that my chances of having a baby would lower significantly.

But there are women out there that have herpes or AIDs and they can still have babies. why would i be any different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• was it a cureable STD? Or is it permanent?
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• currable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• some STD's can cause uterine scarring, or PID -- pelvic inflammatory disease. maybe you could set up another appointment with your doctor to find out more information and if there is anything you can do to treat the STD and raise your chances of getting pregnant.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• all STDs r different it depends on what u had. i had an std when i found out i was pregnant with my second baby.. it didnt do anything to me or my son. i took 2 pills and it was gone. (thank god). research the STD and learn more about it... people with herpes can have a kid but have to have a c section so the baby doesnt get it. and the people with aids can have one bc they have meds that can keep the baby from getting it..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have two different strains of HPV; one that causes cervical cancer, and one that causes warts. Before any judgement is passed, I was raped twice when I was younger, and used condoms with all of my consentual partners until my husband. I had two precancerous spots removed from my cervix, and a month later my son was concieved. When I was five months pregnant, the warts started to grow (they couldn't do anything to remove them because of my baby). I still had a relatively normal pregnancy and was able to deliver my son vaginally. On top of HPV, I also have endometriosis (not an STD). Some illnesses and STD's can make it harder to concieve, but procautions can be taken during birth to ensure that whatever you have (if you haven't taken care of it by then) isn't passed to your child during birth.
    Anonymous

• Right, HPV doesn't guarantee a C-section. =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No it doesn't I had both strains aswell and usually it dies off on its own. HPV is the most common sexually transmitted virus in the country. Most people don't even know they've had it and it usually gets killed off by your own body's defenses before you ever knew you had it (unless you get the warts). The last time I got tested 3 months ago the high risk was gone but I still was testing positive for low risk (even though ive never had a wart). My doctor said it shouldn't effect a normal pregnancy and rarely gets passed onto the baby. My husband and myself have used condoms for a year and just stopped to ttc.
    Anonymous

• Some STD's can cause damage to reproductive organs, (Clamidia and Gonnerea sp? can I think) such as scarring which make it more difficult to become pregnant. Depending on what STD you had this could be the case. It also depends on how long the STD went on unchecked before you found out you had it. The sooner you were treated the less the chance of a problem. You should talk to your OB, they could probably do a pevic ultrasound to determine if there is any damage. Good Luck!
    Anonymous