What evidence do you have that the Bible is actually true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Evidence to me doesnt matter in this case. Its faith that it is true.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Faith trumps truth for most people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If I had to narrow it down to a few evidences, I would probably say: fulfilled prophecies, archaeological discoveries, and the Bible’s amazing unity. The Bible, unlike any other religious book, has demonstrated itself to be the Word of God through its ability to rightly predict the future. There are literally hundreds of very specific prophecies in the Bible that were spoken hundreds of years before their fulfillment that have already come to pass. No other religious book can verify itself in this way. The Bible has also been proven to be historically reliable by numerous archaeological discoveries.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• To date, there have been more than 25,000 archaeological discoveries that have verified the names of persons, places, events, and customs mentioned in the Bible. Finally, there is the Bible’s amazing unity. Here is a book that is actually a collection of sixty-six different books, written down by more than forty different authors, over a period of 1,500 plus years, on three different continents, in three different languages, and it addresses life’s most controversial topics from beginning to end. You would think there would be chaos, confusion, and contradictions, yet the Bible miraculously remains absolutely consistent and internally harmonious from beginning to end. These three evidences (fulfilled prophecy, archaeological discoveries, and the Bible’s.
    JCRestoredme

• What evidence do you have that is not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• JCRestoredme: Have you ever read the Torah? The Koran? The Torah is basically the same as the Old Testament. The Koran maintains the same stories in the Bible, the same morals and prophecies , just with different characters. And how in the world can you claim the Bible doesn't have inconsistencies? You can find one on the very first page, the well known Creation of Man and Woman vs the creation of man, THEN woman. How about the obvious differences between God of the Old Testament and of the New Testament That the Bible is a collection of stories and letters and genealogy built over time by many different people is very true, however most versions are a result of editing practices by many different papacies during the early part of this age (the 1200s through the 1500s). cont
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• cont, I agree with you that many characters within the Bible have been verified to have existed through other cultural records (such as Jesus of Nazareth, John the Baptist, and so on). But census records and execution records are these only secular documents. I also agree with you that there have been numerous archeology discoveries that prove certain events occurred within the Bible, however many of these have been credited to natural phenomena such as volcanoes, droughts, floods, and weather patterns (Sodom and Gamorrah, Jericho, The Eqyptian Plagues).
    I totally feel everyone is entitled to their Faith (and Faith is what makes the Bible such good scripture)...however to call the thing proof of God in any logical (by logical, I mean factual) way is really stretching reality.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• And after reading my post, I think I may have come off a little more cynical and condescending than I meant to, and I apologize for that. What I mean is, saying the Bible is a true record of history and reliable book of prophecy is like saying all fictions based on facts are literal records of what actually happened. That's all.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The Bible has been translated into hundreds of different languages down through the centuries. You are right about that, but the text of the Bible has been accurately preserved all the way through. How do we know that to be the case? First, there is the manuscript evidence. Today, there exists several thousand partial and complete, ancient handwritten manuscript copies of the Bible, some dating as far back as the third century B.C.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Con't These manuscripts have allowed textual critics and scholars to verify that the Bible we have today is the same Bible the early church had. Secondly, there are the writings of the church fathers. By church fathers, I am referring to leaders in the early church. In their commentaries on the Bible, their letters to one another, and their letters to other churches, these men quoted the New Testament Scriptures alone more than 86,000 times. Their quotations have allowed scholars to reconstruct 99.86% of the New Testament. There are only eleven verses in the New Testament that the church fathers apparently never cited. These two evidences, the manuscript evidence and the writings of the church fathers, verify conclusively that the original text of the Bible has been accurately preserved.
    JCRestoredme